Being A Little Sneaky

iVillage Member
Being A Little Sneaky
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 1:39pm
So my dear but VERY evangelical New Creation Southern Baptist inlaws are babysitting my kiddos while DH and I take a trip to San Francisco! Woo hoo! I sit quietly when they pray to Jesus at dinner in MY house, and I make sweet but vague excuses as to why my sons can't go to church with them...so I came up with an idea as to how to enlighten them to my thinking. They are staying in the Master bedroom and I will have JUST HAVE ACCIDENTALLY Left The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins among my books on my bedside table. It's a little passive aggressive, I admit...but it will either let them know that I'm thinking and then it's all done..or it will create an opening for a discussion...where I will inform them of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 1:42pm
teehee! :D Let us know if they say anything. And have fun in SF! (I'm just about 30 miles outside the City).
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 2:21pm
I think that's a super idea, and I don't think it's passive aggressive at all.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 3:05am
Passive, sure. Aggressive, nah. Do follow up! I wonder what they'll say.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 4:07am

Hopefully they won't destroy the book.

For some reason, I've seen on some TV show called "Wife Swap" (maybe clips on the internet) where they send some Born Again Evangelical Fundamentalist Christian to a Wiccan or atheist family where they are often shown destroying some of that family's personal property, like a book or picture claiming that it is evil.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 4:17am
Enjoy your trip! That is very sneaky, will you be gone long enough for your inlaws to have a chance to drag your kids to church?
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-18-2009 - 7:36pm
I saw that Wife Swap!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 2:58am
There was another nutjob who spent time with a Liberal Christian family (the dad was a Liberal Christan minister). The nutjob ripped up displays on the walls they had of other religions like Hindu, Islam, and Wiccan. She could have just put the displays up in the attic for her week, but instead she destroyed their personal property!
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 1:31pm
That's totally wrong and goes so beyond religion. No matter how I feel about religion, I could never destroy someone else's property. But, then if they didn't do that on Wife Swap they wouldn't get the ratings. ;)
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-19-2009 - 9:20pm

When one worships a nasty, hateful, dogmatic deity, anything goes.

FWIW, the vast majority of Christians I know worship a loving God and are respectful to other views. But then, I grew up and still live around New York City, and if someone started pulling that kind of nonsense around here, they will eventually be beaten up after ticking off the wrong people.