Now I'm feeling the pressure

iVillage Member
Now I'm feeling the pressure
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 12:50pm

Starting around the age of 3 the topic of God came up here & there with DS's friends. My DS also started to show a huge fear toward death ever since he could talk. Last summer he was seeing a therapist for food anxiety and the therapist spent some time talking through his fear of death. It helped for a few months.

Now, toward the end of the 1st grade, religion seems like it may be a daily topic with his friends. It appears it is now time for me to into some serious discussions with him.

But seeing I'm not even sure what I believe this proves to be tough, really, really tough. It's strange -- I don't think I believe in a God, yet I fear the 'last days' ???? When I'm really stressed out I hear myself praying, but to whom?

I did do one of those 'what do you believe' tests & I rated highest toward Pagan beliefs. My guess would be due to my feelings toward nature. I am also quite interested in Buddha/Enlightenment and other Indian/Asian philosophies (w/o reincarnation). I know I'm still ignorant and have a lot to learn in these areas. I really don't even understand what Humanism is yet.

So are there any good books you'd recommend?

I have found a few on Amazon. Amazingly these same books are not available in the library ... they are all checked out & have a waiting list for the books - not sure if that has to do with where I live or if secular is becoming more prominent?

I have little extra money to spend these days, so I wonder which of these books ... or any recommendations, should I add my name to the long waiting list at the library or scrape up a few bucks to buy?

I will be reading to two kids ages 4 & 7.

-----------

Born With a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story
by Jennifer Morgan

Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution
by Steven Jenkins

Humanism, What's That?: A Book for Curious Kids
by Helen Bennett

Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief
by Dale McGowan

Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion
by Dale McGowan

--------------------

If you want to read just for fun, what my DS currently believes.

When the mediator hit earth and killed the dinosaurs they floated out into space and merged into one invisible being who we now know as God. So God did not create earth, but protects earth. He went out and found all the Martians and Aliens and brought them to earth and that is how humans came to be.

Living in the past makes your life history.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 3:52pm

The last two are really good books that I can highly recommend for YOU, but you would not be reading them to your kids. ;) The others I have no experience with as my DD is young and doesn't understand that much yet.

I've not read it myself but I've also heard good things about The Story of Religion by Betsy and Giulio Maestro.

Also, check out this site for a free demo course on humanism, which will give you way more info than you need to know for free and you don't even have to register on their site.
http://humanisteducation.com/

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 4:53pm

"When the mediator hit earth and killed the dinosaurs they floated out into space and merged into one invisible being who we now know as God. So God did not create earth, but protects earth. He went out and found all the Martians and Aliens and brought them to earth and that is how humans came to be."

I like it! lol. It makes more sense then anything else.

I don't have any books to suggest, but I think you should go with what your DS believes. Ask him what he thinks. For all we know it is the dinosaurs watching out for us. ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 10:41am
Hi there.