Positive atheist news

iVillage Member
Positive atheist news
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 4:52pm

From the New York Times.....
More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.html?em

If you don't have a login for the NY Times you can get a fake one from http://www.bugmenot.com/ to get you into the site.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 6:58pm

Great article.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-02-2009 - 9:13pm
We live in the Carolinas and the first thing out of people's mouths are "what church do you go to?"
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-03-2009 - 1:33am

<>

They believe that the Flintstones are real?

<>

So they believe in something that someone tells them instead of something that they can observe and test for themselves? But then, these are people who cannot tell the difference between cartoons and reality. Maybe I can sell them a bridge I "own" that goes from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Edited 5/3/2009 1:37 am ET by the_navigator84
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 4:03am

There's plenty enough reality to talk about without exaggerating. Obviously there is a difference between thinking cartoons are real and believing in one thing that just happens to be represented in a cartoon. I'm sorry, but comments like this really rub me the wrong way. Remember that many of us here used to be religious and although I will agree whole-heartedly that when I believed in religion I was WRONG and that the beliefs I had themselves were silly, I was not a moron and most religious people aren't morons either. We don't have to imply that they are to make our point.

It takes a certain amount of education to understand the scientific method and skeptical thinking. If you don't really understand what evolution is or how to observe it, being able to observe and test it isn't enough. Heck, a LOT of people who believe in evolution don't really understand it, so is it really so surprising that people can be easily convinced it's wrong?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 1:05am

<>

The Flintstones comment was meant to be facetious. FWIW, many of my neighbors, co-workers, and relatives believe in a religion, but none of them believe that humans co-existed with dinosaurs.

<>

That is taught in early grade school. If people have gone beyond that amount of education and still fail to understand the scientific method, then they are willfully ignorant, perhaps they could go back until they can grasp the basics.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-09-2009 - 10:06pm
WOOHOO! I graduated from the College of Charleston. Excellent!! My inlaws are from Charleston, and FWIW they actually DO believe in the dinosaur/people theory. They aren't the smartest folks in the world...but are college educated and ran a successful business. Unfortunately they fall into the category of believing anything and EVERYTHING the church tells them. Complete blind faith. I'm AMAZED at any and all conversations we have about religion. It's disturbing and fascinating at the same time.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 1:42am

Have you ever seen Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" bits? Many of the people interviewed hold college degrees!

I had a co-worker mention that he saw on a Game Show Network re-run of "Who Wants To be a Millionaire" a contestant phone a friend about which direction a magnetic compass points to. Something I learned in first grade. The sad part was that she beat me in the fast fingers round to get into the hot seat!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 9:27am
I teach elementary school.
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 10:42am
In first grade, I remember pointing out that South America looked like it could fit into Africa. I remember the discussion did not go any further, it may have been due my teacher either not knowing about continental drift (it was 1968), or maybe she did not want to delve into continental drift with the rest of the class, and maybe time was short, or maybe she did not understand me due to my many speech impediments at the time. I remember mentioning it to my parents at the time but they could not figure out what I was saying back then either. FWIW, at that time I was questioning the existence of deities, but still believed in Santa Claus (he left evidence).