Church members try to lure kids into van

iVillage Member
Church members try to lure kids into van
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 4:01pm
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12286425

Summary: In Colorado Springs, a local church parked outside of a middle school. The members tried to lure kids into their church van for conversion and baptism without parental consent. It is an ongoing problem in which the school has tried to protect the children, but the church has continually escalated their efforts over recent weeks.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 8:53pm

That was really disturbing! We live in Colorado Springs, not too far form that school.

I teach at a Middle School and a few years back we were having trouble with some religious group (not sure if its the same one) trying to pass out pamphlets and generally harass the kids on the way home. We could chase them off our property, but once they went across the street and stood on the sidewalk there was nothing we could do but glare at them...The principal would come over the PA (which can easily be heard several blocks away through the outside speakers) and told the kids the ignore them. They looked pretty mad about it, but they didn't leave for several weeks.

I live close by and sometimes walk home, and on more then one occasion have been practically chased home by some well-meaning religious nut on a mission to save my soul! Goodness knows we have plenty of those around these parts...

Cool Jaime (Me) **** Laughing Brian (DH) **** Smile Lily (DD-11) **** Tongue OutOwen (DS-4)

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 10:16pm
Quote: "I live close by and sometimes walk home, and on more then one occasion have been practically chased home by some well-meaning religious nut on a mission to save my soul!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 9:10am

LOL!!!! On the pepper spray!!! Love it

I have to question the Well-meaning? It's intimidation and harrassment that I don't find well-meaning at all. I hate that because they think they are right it can pass it off as them not meaning any harm. It doesn't work for any other group, KKK, Child predators, atheists ;-)...

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 9:27am

HAHA! Actually it's kind of fun to string them along sometimes :)

At least it keeps them from spending time with someone who might be more easily influenced...and one even offered to carry

Cool Jaime (Me) **** Laughing Brian (DH) **** Smile Lily (DD-11) **** Tongue OutOwen (DS-4)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-08-2009 - 9:34am

I think that most of them are well-meaning, in their own minds anyway. I used to be VERY religious, so I can sympathize a bit with where they are coming from (although I will admit that if anything it makes it even more annoying!)

They truly think that you are going to hell and are going to suffer for all eternity if they don't "save" you. So in their mind, a little bit of pestering, or even intimidation,

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 7:55pm
Maybe they could take lessons from the kidnappers and child molesters. This is downright creepy.