It amazes me

iVillage Member
It amazes me
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 10:40am

I saw this status message before I decided to call it a night, and I wanted to share it with you all as well as a little background as to way it says what it says:

I

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: rholmes2004
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 11:05am
I swear one of the biggest problems I had with dogma was the fact that those who preach it want you to remain stupid, its like come on don't you see what you just put?

Pretty much all religion works like this and I think it is absolutely insane. Have you ever studied Scientology?

If you become a Scientologist, they will slowly give you more and more information into their beliefs. As time progresses, you'll pay in money and get audited to see if you are ready for the next level then they give you more information about the religion.

They forbid people from learning more than their 'level' is ready for because if you go too far, too fast, you'll learn about the alien Xenu, the Volcano and the H-Bomb and for the average person, that is too far fetched to believe. The auditing ensures you adequately believe what you are being told before they introduce more information.

People who disobey the rules, read information above their level and start to question the faith are marked as, "suppressive persons," and other Scientologists are banned from ever speaking to that person again.

In every religion I can think of, ignorance and blind faith is considered a virtue.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-20-2009 - 12:41pm
That's one of the things I have never been able to wrap my mind around, that ignorance is bliss.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 8:45am

Last night I had lunch with people who think they are the brightest minds in the city.

One guy said he believes people should speak correctly in order to expand their mind and think correctly. For example: "The road that goes to X city," is incorrect because roads don't go anywhere. Roads are simply pavement which lie in a single position.

Anyhow, I was telling him that insulting the semantics the average person uses will not help him understand the meaning of 'time.' Well that made him pretty angry at which point he started talking about how lazy speaking creates lazy thinking and how important correct and intelligent thinking is.

I then told him our thoughts do not really matter. They matter for us here and now on this planet. However we are one speck of space dust in the middle of nowhere floating in a vast ocean of billions of galaxies. We live, we die and our thoughts disappear. We could destroy our entire planet and every thought on it and it would never affect the universe or we could all 'think correctly,' and still never affect the universe.

The guy then said, "Well the word of God doesn't back up your ideas."

BTW: Sorry this post is so long. I realize now it is even more boring the actual conversation.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 9:31am

Wow, its funny to me that he yaked on and on about being intellgent and then mentioned the word of god.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 4:25pm

The ones that amaze me just as much are the deeply religious who claim to be former Atheists. How can this be? How does one just begin to believe in Santa again?

Recently there was a very short news segment on a local station about the decline in Christianity. They pimped this story for 2 days so I was quite curious. Then when I watched it, they presented statistics from recent surveys that show that the number of those who call themselves Christian has dropped and then went on to interview some of the religious leaders in the community who all (of course) expressed deep concern. One-the Catholic one as a matter of fact-did say that he believes it is too easy for the faithful to become too pious and that he believes this piety has turned folks off thus driving them away. One of the leaders was a guy who was very educated but claimed to be a former Atheist. When he said that I saw all credibility in this piece begin to die. There was not one Atheist or Agnostic interviewed for that tiny segment. Just the religious crowd telling us all to get to church.

sigh

Photobucket

May your day include things that are happy!
Lisa
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 7:33pm

I guess when someone doesn't understand their beliefs themself, they need to stop others from forcing them to actually think about it by making up rules.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 10:50pm

This girl clearly doesn't know who she is up against with you!
(high five) I LOVE your personal Facebook Athiest/Liberal evil dishing.
(smile)

also, for the discussion, I find it amazing that conservative Christians walk around talking about how slighted they are! lol
These are usually the loud/bombastic people who dump their ranting on you and think that they have really had a discussion. AS much as I love my dad, he was just like this. He would sit and talk and talk and talk and everyone would, finally, go home. Sigh. It was exhausting to be around him. There was no discussion. There was no "other side". There was just HIS side, the right side.

Well, because I was raised there, Rayven, I am not the slightest bit bothered by a person like that girl. They will NEVER learn. They will always think they are in they are in the right.
And, more importantly, all of your wisdom and logic completely falls on deaf ears. It isn't even worth your time or bother to enter into a discussion with her.
Just move one.

You will not change these people's minds with clear thought.
For whatever reason, they are very invested in being "RIGHT" no matter what messages they are touting as "truth".

I believe that they get some sort of a superior sense of self that they really need. You can't argue with that. I've tried! (smile)

Peace!
Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-21-2009 - 11:43pm

Thanks! Alot of my gay friends (one who is Iraq right now) really enjoy that I'm not scared to stand up and say hey this is all bull.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 5:33am

I have a problem with that whole "ex-atheism" thing.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-22-2009 - 5:42am
I can be a very "evil" person sometimes.

Pages