I had to laugh

iVillage Member
I had to laugh
Sun, 06-07-2009 - 12:51am
I'm a CL on another board and some of the CLs will sign up for siggie exchages, so I'll have another board's siggie in my siggie to spread the word, so to speak. Well, I got LDS family life. lol. Now, to be fair my siggie on my CL profile doesn't have this boards siggie in it. And I don't really care, I just found it amusing and thought you all might, too. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: jgteach
Sun, 06-07-2009 - 8:52pm

I'm a bad CL.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 12:19am

<>

Why would that be?

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 1:08pm
Why would that be? Because they have trouble with US existing! They cant pretend we aren't here if we have a board.
Photobucket

May your day include things that are happy!
Lisa
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 1:51am

<>

I never could wrap my head around why some people think that way. The Christians I come across face to face have no problem with different religions, but where I grew up and live there is a lot of diversity.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 12:09pm

>>but where I grew up and live there is a lot of diversity.<<

Ahh, lucky you! Come hang out in the South for awhile. While I am in Kentucky and it's Southern-ness can be debated by some, most of us in the state consider ourselves Southern. Unfortunately that Southern-ness also frequently includes intolerance in many forms.

Nearly all Christians I know here just assume that if you are in front of them you, too, are Christian. Unless of course you are Jewish. (Buddhist is suspicious, Islam probably means you are an extremist "black" person, Wiccan, Pagan and/or Atheist = Devil Worshipper.) Now, granted, I just completely generalized the population here so my apologies to fellow Southerners who do not fit what I just wrote BUT, it is the most common belief in this area of the country. Fortunately, I live in Louisville. It is the most liberal city in the state. In fact, it is not claimed by most in the rest of the state because of that fact.

The most religious tolerance I encounter here is the tolerance of the different forms of Christianity. "As long as you believe in God you are ok...not quite as good as me and what I believe in, but ok."

Ah well, the tide will turn some day. I see evidence (slight as it may be) all the time that religion in any form is loosing its choke hold. I doubt I will see it change much in my lifetime but its coming. Mark my words!

Photobucket

May your day include things that are happy!
Lisa
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 12:44am

I grew up and live near New York City. Even though I have travelled through this country and the world, I rarely encountered people who were so close-minded and ignorant until I got on the internet, namely on some of the adoption boards.

I don't know how you put up with this nonsense 24/7. Sure, I love a good fight, but sometimes, one must take a break. FWIW, my wife was born in Nebraska and lived in Utah in her early 20's. She said that if I was living there in some small town, that I would constantly be arrested on trumped up charges.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 10:19pm

I've grown up in Florida and while it is in the South, most of the state isn't "Southern."

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 11:37pm
Funny you should say this. I was on the adoption board last night and I was SO disgusted with the constant prayers, blessings, et al.
I almost came here to complain, but I just hate complaining! Oh well, I did it anyway.
LOL
Peace,
Karen
Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 1:56am

<>

I've never had a problem with people on adoption boards asking for prayers for their sick kid, or thanking the deity of their choice that they got a referral for a child. I do have an issue when they start insulting non-Christians with stuff like doing something wrong was "Unchristian", stating that some book like the "Golden Compass" was atheistic and therefore evil. Or someone ranting that atheists suck. Or non-Christians do not feel sad when someone's kid dies.

My favorite was one with the title "Looking for an Orthopedist who is Christian and/or Ethical". When I asked about it the poster said that non-Christians may try to be ethical... I caught a lot of flak from the God Squad on the matter. FWIW, I did look in my local phone book for orthopedists and there were 4 in my town, Drs. Gupta, Krishnamurthy, Levine, and Shapiro, and since I had never met them, I could not vouch for them. I did ask dozens of my neighbors if they knew of any orthopedists and most of them dealt with the four mentioned above, and when I added the qualifier of "Christian and/or Ethical" every one of them responded surprise that someone would ask such a thing, and most of the neighbors I asked were Christian themselves.

<>

How about asking for ammunition? For some reason I am on some Conservative mailing list (Heck, some charities send mail to my dog Bing). The other day I got some mail from Newt Gingrinch about how atheists like me suck. When I get back from vacation, maybe I'll post some of the finer points so that they can be ripped apart.