Good Ol' Fashioned Book Burnin'

iVillage Member
Good Ol' Fashioned Book Burnin'
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 10:28am
Summary: Christians are currently suing to hold a good ol' fashioned book burning of reading material they find offensive at their public library. They are also requesting $120,000 for emotional damage suffered while reading the book Baby Be-Bop.

http://www.drudge.com/news/121805/christian-group-files-suit-burn-library

I have never read Baby Be-Bop, but it could not be more offensive than the book these people worship. The "Holy Bible," has incest, polygamy, homosexuality, homophobia, murder, torture, slaves, misogyny, racism, ect... They claim Baby Be-Bop could incite violence, but their, "Holy Bible," makes a direct call for certain people to be put to death.

If I were them, I'd withdrawal my case or hope I lost. I know what book I find most offensive and it isn't Baby Be-Bop.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 10:34am

At the heart of it, this is another attempt by fundie nutjobs to take away a person's right to choose. They CHOSE to read Baby Be-Bop. After they finished the book they were like, "THAT OFFENDED ME, NOBODY SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!!!"

A sane person would have simply returned the book immediately after they started getting offended. Nobody forced them to read the book. It was a choice.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 3:07pm
I've got a "good book" I'd like to burn at their party... >:}

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 7:47pm

Why does reading this sort of thing only encourage me to read the book in question? LOL
The site suggests ages 12 and up just how disturbing can it be? Sounds like a bunch of homophobes to me.

I want compensation from that piece of crap Madonna book back in the early 90's, now that was disturbing! ;-)!LOL
Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 8:13pm
Actually you'd be surprised how disturbing some young adult literature can be. I'm a librarian in a middle school and have also worked in high schools. However, I'm sure they're all up in arms by the gay character in the book. As a librarian, book burning is an anathema to me but, what do you expect from these people. It's scary.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 11:01pm

Someone posted this on that website:

Dear God:
Please hold your Rapture soon-we really NEED to get rid of these fundie creeps.

Thank You In Advance
America

LOL

Okay, listen, so the book is not for you. Must you burn it?
I mean, how childish.
Have you really only read a few book in your lifetime? Because books can infuriate me! Shock me. stop me dead in my tracks!!!! But I do not feel the need to BURN them.
For crying out loud!

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 7:15am
Just more of their controlling ways.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 7:22am
To the fundies that have that book tucked away in their closet where their wife can't see it's a classic! But then again there are probably a few things some of them have tucked away in their closets...but to go there is just far too easy.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 8:41am
I have not read the book, but my understanding is that Baby Be-Bop is about a teenage homosexual. My guess is the book had a little too much acceptance and not enough condemnation.