7 Secrets to Nurturing Tolerance in Kids

iVillage Member
7 Secrets to Nurturing Tolerance in Kids
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 5:04pm

7 Secrets to Nurturing Tolerance in Our Kids:
A Response to the Tragic Holocaust Museum Shooting

"Kids aren't born hateful and prejudices are learned. Hatred and intolerance can be learned, but so too can sensitivity, understanding, empathy and tolerance. If today's children are to have any chance of living harmoniously in this multi-ethnic world, it is critical that parents nurture it. Here are seven parenting solutions you can use that help curtail bigotry while at the same time influence your kids to treat others with respect and understanding."

Read the entire article here:

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 8:10pm

I believe that tolerant parents are already raising tolerant children. I think this should be taught in school not just a one hour special but every day.

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 8:28pm

Hey, Liesl!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 10:53pm
I remember not too long ago my niece (LDS) saw me pour a cup of coffee at my home. She flipped out!

This past weekend I had some people flip out on me because I put salt on my Water Melon. Apparently something is horribly horribly wrong about that.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 1:57pm

AaaaHHHHHH! (cowering) SALT!

LOL

Listen, though, While I can agree to a high degree that 'they are what we teach them to be' I have learned with my own children that they are also THEMSELVES. And they will, many times, have their own ways/beliefs/personalities and we can't really change those.
We can't change the essentials of who a person is. THEY might be able to change. But I honestly believe that we can only influence them so far.

I USED to be one of those people who would just roll my eyes when I child behaved poorly and think "well, you know where they learned THAT from!" But now, with children of my own, I can see that that is really wrong. They are themselves.

Now, on to the part that I agree with! ("finally" they sigh)
I do believe that the fact that I have true and real friends from many different belief systems, races, nationalities, and ages displays something to my children about who is "okay". Everyone.

And that is far beyond "Tolerance". That is Openness, Love, and Acceptance.

I enjoy seeing them in public with very little regard for obvious differences when choosing who to meet/talk to/hang with.

So, I agree too,
Peace,
Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 7:51pm

I do agree that learning tolerance starts at home, but those lessons can easily be undone by others.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-12-2009 - 7:59pm

Great point Shay it's so true.

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-13-2009 - 2:08pm

I have to say that I agree with Shay's point too.

While I try to be accepting of others, I'm sure my kids have gotten some "intolerance" towards Christians from me.

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos