You wouldn't believe what someone said!!

iVillage Member
You wouldn't believe what someone said!!
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 8:56pm
A fellow teacher (who has no children of her own) stated that she would not want her children to be in a classroom where the teacher was not baptist, like herself!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 10:20pm

If you want your child only to learn about your religion, then send them to your church's school.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
OMGosh!!!!!!!!
No kidding?!
Reason #6498 why I'm sooo glad we homeschool!
(NO offense to other schoolers) I just could NOT take this.
Grrrrr.
Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member

Sooo does this work the other way around as well? Does she want all Baptist children in her classroom? Does she favour the children who share her specific beliefs? Does she actually believe that the non Baptist children do not behave well enough like non Baptish teachers?

She really shouldn't be teaching in a public school.

-Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 10:25am
Have you thought about going to someone higher up, maybe the principal of her school or someone like that.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 10:32am
I grew up in the Bible Belt, and I have no idea what the denominations of my teachers were. I mean, I'm just assuming they were Christian because of where I lived, but other than the ones that sponsored the Christian student clubs or whatever, it never came up at all. The idea that she would care at all is just bizarre to me. I mean, would she ask them? "Oh hi, you want to teach my kid to read. Are you Baptist?" wtf? Why could that possibly matter?! Even if you buy into the atheists = immoral bull hooey, thinking that Baptists have the monopoly on competent is way OTT.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I was wondering myself if she favored the children whom she knew for sure were baptist.

Infortunately, this is common here.

iVillage Member

What an incredibly rude and narrow minded thing for her to say.

iVillage Member

This is one of those situations where you have to think is it wise to continue to let this behavior go unchallenged.

iVillage Member
Wow-I would be really upset if ds came home and told me his teacher was teaching about god in his classroom. I grew up in the bible belt with a Baptist preacher for a father no less (yes I'm warped) and not once did I hear anything like that from my teachers. It's unethical if you are a teacher in a public school. She needs to go to a Christian school if she wants to be like that. I have had to teach my son about the separation of church and state after religion had been mentioned (not in a structured way-the kids had started talking about it) at school. He decided for himself that he doesn't believe in god. When he told someone that some of the kids started giving him a hard time about going to hell. After explaining if you don't believe in god you don't believe in hell, I told him to remind them about the separation of church and state