WTF? Seriously? You believe THAT?

iVillage Member
WTF? Seriously? You believe THAT?
Sun, 07-04-2010 - 2:03pm

So... I went to church today for the first time in almost fifteen years. I was invited by a friend so I thought to myself, "OK. Sure. Why not?"

The crap these people believe is ludicrous.

The preacher got to talking about abortion and God's wrath for disobedience of his word. He literally stood before the congregation and said that 9/11, Hurricane Katrina AND the BP Oil Spill were examples of God's punishment for wiping out an entire generation of unborn children.

I kid you not. That nutter stood before everyone and said that his 'loving God' killed thousands of innocent men, women, children and Christians because some individuals in this country decided to have an abortion.

If YOU tick me off and in retribution I go and poison half the animals in a neighborhood (BP), blow up a Wal-Mart full of people (9/11) and then take a bulldozer to every home in the town (Katrina), how many people are going to worship me? Would *I* be herald as a loving being? Someone worthy of worship? Someone who everyone would want to spend eternity with?

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-04-2010 - 11:15pm

I know its frustrating.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-04-2010 - 11:23pm

<>

Will it be the pets of the same sex? or pets of the opposite sex?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 1:08am

That was one of the many questions that scenario brought to mind but I was visiting in their church and bit my tongue. LOL

People are just afraid of things so they get these ideas in their heads and promote them ruthlessly

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 11:03am
Quote "There was the bit that basically suggests that even someone who leads a less than perfect life can get into heaven if they accept Jesus as their savior... so I am thinking well does that mean that someone can live a perfect life and go to hell cause they didn't label Jesus as Jesus....."

That was actually one of the topics he touched on. He said while the United States was founded on freedom of religion, Christians have a duty to tell people the truth. The truth is that a person can believe whatever they want to believe. They can live a perfect life and pray ten times a day. Unless they're praying to Jesus, all the prayers in vain. Jesus the the ONE and ONLY way to get to the kingdom of heaven.

Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking, "OK. Would I REALLY want to be at the side of a God who would kill thousands of people in a Hurricane, Plane Crash and Oil Spill? ARE YOU PEOPLE INSANE!?"

I kept my mouth shut to avoid embarrassing my friend, but I truly wonder how these people can believe the way they do.

A person can live a nice life full of charity and kindness (the kind of life that Christians say is ideal), but if they're not worshiping the Jesus then they spend the afterlife in eternal torment.

They say their religion is based in love, but I think it is driven by fear.

In my opinion, the being they're worshiping is friggin' evil! (Talking about God, not Jesus, even though they claim they're the same begin.)

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 5:45pm

If

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 9:22pm
Well, you've got more guts than me. The only way I would set foot inside a church would be if someone were getting married in one or if I had to attend a funeral in one. But only if it were someone I was really close to. Lucky for me, I'm not close to anyone religious. And so far, no church funerals either. :)
siggy
siggy