Finally!

iVillage Member
Finally!
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 2:56pm

Someone in my area was finally brave enough to stand up to the Weekly Religious Ed. Classes (in a PUBLIC school!) and try and put a stop to it-I can't imagine it will help-- but we will see. My child is not old enough yet to take the classes, so I cannot join in on the suit. I posted something about this a year ago as I was flipping through my daughter's student handbook and was outraged that this was going on still!

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/parents-file-lawsuit-against-fwcs-

The comments underneath are nauseating.

iVillage Member
In reply to: litterbox24
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 6:34pm

The link wasn't working.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 10:54am
Oh shoot. It looks like they took the story off the page. Maybe the comments were getting out of hand! I will have to keep an eye on this story in our news! The ACLU is using the defense that the trailers are on school property at this particular school-but the elementary school that my daughters go to has a church "conveniently" located right next to the school, with a nice little sidewalk leading into the school parking lot. How nice.
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 9:24pm

VICTORY!!!!!

It looks like the school board has voted to get rid of the religious ed. trailers! That just seemed too fast and easy! This is what the pres. of the school board was quoted as saying:

“We, as a district, simply don’t have the available class time to be sending students into religious trailers,” said FWCS board President Mark G. He said he had spoken to a majority of board members and all agreed that the classes, taught to third-, fourth- and fifth-graders from trailers parked near the elementary schools, won’t return this fall. The decision would effectively settle the complaint of a Haley Elementary School family who last week filed suit against the district in federal court.

“I think it’s clear that the courts have determined what we are doing violates the Constitution,” he said. “Legally, it’s already been decided; academically it’s inconsistent with our goal of academic achievement; and fiscally, its irresponsible to defend a case that’s already been decided. I would say that’s strike one, two and three. The board members I’ve spoken to – to a person – have expressed the same thing.”

Yay for now!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 8:35am
Wow! That really was fast! Clearly, they were in the wrong on this, and I'm glad they didn't drag it out.