How/When DO you bring up religion...

iVillage Member
How/When DO you bring up religion...
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 9:58am

to your kids? The recent message stream that began with our friend and her frustration with seeing a need to be "PC" in front of the religious world got me thinking about this.

My son will start Kindergarten next month at a public grade school. He just turned 5 and we have NEVER discussed religion with him. It has just never come up. We do have some in our family who are very religious but it is just never part of our gatherings.

I live in Louisville, KY and although it is the most progressive part of the state, religion still reigns here. As I read over posts and responses to the "PC" thread I started to wonder if I have done Cole an injustice by not at least mentioning the existence of Christianity to him. My plan was to let him bring it up but now I am concerned that he will be blind sided at school by classmates.

I guess it won't be a HUGE topic in Kindergarten so maybe I am just borrowing trouble here. My question to all of you is, what did YOU do to prepare your kids as they ventured out into the school world? Did you just let them come to you with the inevitable questions or did you start up a conversation with them before hand?

With school starting in a little over a month I guess I dont have much time to work religion talks into our routine but if I need to I will find a way.

What do y'all think? Thanks in advance for your input!

Lisa

Photobucket

Lisa
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 11:31am

I'd certainly start if you haven't already. He's heading into school and you should just assume it'll come up. I was raised an atheist and my parents never talked about it. It certainly did come up and I paid for my ignorance. I remember one parent finding out and taking every opportunity to frighten me into believing. No matter how secure you are, at 5, when a grown-up tells you your parents are going to scorch in hell, you are terrified.... especially when your own parents have never told you about this hell place and that it's not real.

My eldest starting asking questions at 3

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 7:34am

Bring it up before your child is "damned to hell" Like My DD was in Primary. I regret not giving her more information, something simple like Some people believe that there's a man in the sky. I had to have this talk after the incident and it worked out okay as she completely understood that being "Godly" doesn't neccessarily make your a better, nicer, kinder person.
Now with my second Daughter she's prepared but seems to come by the PC thing naturally. She kept her mouth shut when another child said her dog is a star in the sky. We agreed later that's a nice way to remember your dog and she at 6 was wise enough not to ruin it for the child.

-Liesl

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 3:38pm

Ok, so last night I asked him if he'd ever heard of God. He said no. So I explained that some people believe that God is a man who lives in the sky and watches over/controls all we do. His response? "God isnt a good name for him. His name should be Roll-bert. And how can he stay up in the sky unless he's a cloud? Or has a jet-pak?"

So I guess that explains it. God is really a cloud man named Roll-bert who has a jet-pak. Good answer, Cole!

Photobucket

Lisa
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 6:20pm
*SWEET*
Leave it to a kid to simplify EVERYTHING!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 1:01pm
Actually, that makes a lot more sense than any other explanation I've heard! LOL
siggy
siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 8:26pm

Praise be to Roll-bert and his ultra cool jetpack!

Shay

Disney Sig
Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 9:17am

Hi, just found this board, its great!

I didn't have to bring up the topic of religion/god with my kids, DH's grandma does it for us...repeatedly. Sending them toddler bibles, and reading them stories, telling them all about God.

I decided long ago that the kids could make up their own minds about church. If they decide they want to go and that they believe, then that is their choice and we will send them to church with their aunt who goes. Only our 8 year old is old enough to understand and to make a choice and she doesn't believe. She likes the stories, but that is all they are, stories. She told FIL once that "God is just a guy that people made up to make themselves feel better" I think that says it all.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 10:46pm

Welcome to the board!

Disney Sig