Need tips on combing my wild child's (m)

iVillage Member
Need tips on combing my wild child's (m)
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:34am
wild hair! Zoie has lots of wildly curly hair and it gets all tangled and matted. She won't let me comb it. I am sure it doesn't feel good. And she's 17 months so she doesn't understand. Any hints or suggestions????

Kristen

http://www.hotslings.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:50am
Olivia has the EXACT same problem!! All I can do is give her something she's not normally supposed to have, usually Carmex or Chapstick. It'll keep her busy while I'm trying to comb out those curls. And actually next month, I'm getting her hair cut all over. Hopefully that will help the friz:).

Good Luck!

Lani

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:35am
my dd has this problem. Very curly hair that is dry at the ends and it matts down to felt. I tell her she has Albert Einstein hair. I cut bangs into her hair when she was about that age to keep her eyes clear and I just don't hassle her about it much. She goes in phases of how much she wants to primp which she did from a very early age. So at about 20 months she was very willing -- when she was motivated -- to sit still for me to brush and put in pony tails or pig tails or barettes. I use kids conditioner on her hair and spray it spray it with 'no more tangles' especially if I am trying to brush when her hair is dry. Water seems to help it untangle.

Oh, and a trick I have found is to brush from the underside of her hair starting at the ends and work from her ears to the center. I get a bunch of hair and hold it tight so it won't pull from the roots when I brush and start at the ends from the underside and work up. Then I do a little more and try to brush through from the top down. This takes time and I go slowly but she has learned to have patience with me. It gets better as they get older. Good luck.

Denise

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:38am
My DD has fine, straight hair that gets super tangled, so I know what a battle it can be. Johnson & Johnson's No More Tangles has been a lifesaver for me. Maybe you want to use a wide tooth comb, too, to loosen things up. I have also found that if I sit Kathryn on my lap she holds pretty still. I also sit her on the bathroom counter in front of the mirror and she brushes her teeth and watches while I brush. Sometimes, she just wants to be involved so I give her a brush and she "helps" me.

HTH, Carissa

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:40am
this sounds wierd, i know, but I used to take care of a developmentally disabled woman with the same problem with her hair. It was curly and would get matted and she would kick and bite when anyone tried to brush it.

What I did was use cheap cooking spray, spray my hand, and rub it into her hair. It softened the hair enough that it could be brushed without hurting her, and didn't leave her hair greasy, just shiny and manageable. Just make sure you don't use flavored sprays, lol.

I hope that helps someone.

Renee

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:53pm
This sounds like the same principle as those anti-friz creams -- they are really lubricants designed for use on hair. I supposed cooking spray would work if you didn't have anything else. It is after all food grade so it shouldn't have anything harmful in it.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:39pm
I have WICKED curly hair, too!! I found the best thing for my hair is oily products! I use ethnic hair oil found in hair salons and Sally stores....if you live in a city you can find it in Wal mart even. It organizes my curls and softens them up too...and it is no way near the price of frizz ease hair products...you can also use simple almond oil, a little in your palm worked into her hair after it is washed.....

I love curly hair!! I hope Biddy's curls!!

Peace

Moe

http://weeseamusherbals.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:49pm
Meshika has curly hair that is tangled the minute she wakes up. I Loooooooooove her hair and the ringlets.

We used to just leave it, then try to do it in the shower...huge battles. Now we have something that works-most times anyway, LOL. I comb it in the shower, after leting her have something she is not supposed to have (like Denise suggested). We wash our hair about 3 times/week and put conditioner on it, which makes it easier to comb. After that I forget about brushing it until; next time we wash. So it's 'wild', who cares, LOL!

When she needs her eyes free we just put it in a ponytail; I have bought several pretty pins and bands-she picked them out. And I LOVE the move she makes with her hands/fingers when she puts her hair behind her ears.

I personally do not want to cut her hair. I would never let anyone touch it-I have experience with baby curls going away after the first haircut.

I hope you untangle, LOL!

Nikoleta.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 11:27am
Yes, we let it get wild inbetween. She had headbands but doesn't really like them. It was poking in her eyes and she was having a hard time seeing so I did cut bangs. They make her look like Rebbecca Demornay as she looked in the movie "Risky Business."

Once when she was 2ys my dh couldn't stand how poofed out her hair was and cut it. It did look better and curled closer to her head for a while. But as I pointed out what was he going to do when it grew out and now had blunt ends which would be even wilder. He sheepishly admitted he hadn't thought of that. I reminded him he needs to let it grow long enough so the weight of it will pull itself down.