My 15mo is scared of showers, baths (m)

iVillage Member
My 15mo is scared of showers, baths (m)
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:14pm
and I don't have enough room for a decent title! :)

Anyway...Aidan is really scared of running water. Makes it very difficult for me to shower when he's awake and daddy's not home. I would love for him to get into the shower with me, but I don't want to freak him out any further. I've taken a few showers with the curtain totally open so he can see me, singing to him the whole time, but he still just stands there and screams at me. He also screams when I run his bath water at night. After that, he's fine and loves to play with his toys in the tub. He does hate being washed and esp. having his hair rinsed.

Any suggestions?? TIA!

Leah and Aidan

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 5:37pm
have you ever tried taking a bath with him? This is the only way i can bathe in the morning, after my DH has gone to work. I haven't taken a shower in months .. ;)

Otherwise, i guess you could try running his bath when he isn't in the room (leave him with DH in another room)...then bring him into the bathroom.

Can you shower when he is napping? How does he sleep in the morning..is it possible to get up before him and take a shower? i do this once in a while, if I happen to wake up before him and feel like getting up (which is rare!)

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:45am
He will eventually get over it. My Aidan was the same way with showers at that age. He also still doesn't like running water, but he tolerates it now.

For a long time, I only showered if Aidan was asleep, or if daddy was playing with him in another room. Now I can put him on our bed with the TV on (just about the only time Aidan gets TV - maybe that's why he allows me to shower) and he's content to let me shower. I get a full 20 minutes to shower, play with face products, do my hair, etc (so long as I put him down at the START of a program - LOL).

I still bathe with Aidan. I have a big tub and it's got a hand-held shower attachment. In theory it's perfect for washing hair in the tub, except for the fact that Aidan doesn't like it. It used to make him scream, but now he tolerates it. We have done a lot of playing with it like it's a fountain, or squirting Daddy across the room, and Aidan thinks that's pretty cool.

Hopefully it will pass soon for you.

I'm still praying for your brother. Have you heard anything? Every time I hear about the 1st MEF, I say a quick prayer for him.

Tracie

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 5:49pm
Thanks, Tracie. This morning, I just hopped in while he was playing in my room. (My entire house, save the office which is closed, is pretty baby-safe.) It wasn't so bad. I had the TV going, and he did climb onto our mattress to watch it.

I got a letter from Jason dated 3/7, when they were still in Kuwait. From what we can gather on the news, the 1st is just holding steady and waiting. He should be flooded with packages very soon! :)

Thanks,

Leah