cosleeping & breastfeeding, need to wean

iVillage Member
cosleeping & breastfeeding, need to wean
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 10:37pm
Hi Everyone -
My DH and I co-sleep with our 16 month old daughter. We want to have another child. I am 37 and my menses have not returned. I would like to wean, but nothing I've read seems to provide the info I need. For example, pretty much everyone says, "eliminate one feeding first, then gradually eliminate additional feedings." Well, that doesn't work since I nurse on demand. For the last couple of weeks I have been trying to distract her when she asks to nurse, but ultimately when she gets upset I will nurse her. Has anyone been through this? Any advice? On a related note, she will not take a sippy cup (or any other cup or bottle). We offer it all the time, but the most she'll do is take a sip.
Thanks!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 9:40pm

Are you weaning so that your fertility returns? I wrote up some tips on getting fertility back while breastfeeding. Check out the "Fact Sheet".
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppttcbf

Have you tried a cup with a straw?

Staying busy throughout the day helps. At night I have DH rock her back to sleep instead of nursing.

Jeska

Community Leader
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 12:25am

In a way you are lucky.

Gail

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:04pm

mom_xtina -

I am wondering if you have an update on how things are going... I am 30 yo, have been BFing and co-sleeping with my DD, who is 22 mo, and would like to get preg with #2, but also have not had my menses return.

I have also been trying to wean, but my story is the same as yours - I am a SAHM, and nurse on demand. I had hoped to continue BFing while I am preg with #2, but it doesn't seem like I will be able to conceive while BFing.

Alyssa

&nbsp
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 1:03am

I don't have any advice either because I'm in the same boat. My DS is 20 months old and co-sleep and breastfeeding on demand, too. I've yet to get my cycle back as well. I'm 32 and would like to get pregnant ago in the next year for baby #2. I'll be waiting the replies for help too but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Jenni