Baby Bjorn... like it or not

iVillage Member
Baby Bjorn... like it or not
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:45pm
Hey! I just stopped by from the carseats board and was wondering about the Baby Bjorn front carrier. I have a 3yo and a 17lb 3 mo. If I were to have to dart after the oldest would the carrier be supportive? I have worn it around the store and love it so far, but before I buy it I need some first hand opinions of it in action. Also I am curious about the terra cotta. One website shows and describes it as being deep red wih dark grey detail but every where else shows it as more of a multicolor print on both sides. Anyone know for sure? Any color preferences here as far as fading? If you don't recommend this one what do you like?

TIA Heather

P.S. So glad to have found this board- my husbands friends think I'm crazy for raising my kids like I do

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 12:25pm
Hi Heather,

You might want to check the weight limit on a Baby Bjorn. I'm thinking its around 20-22 pounds so you're not going to get much use out of it at all if your baby is already 17 pounds. I think the website it www.babybjorn.com . We couldn't have survived without our Baby Bjorn, but its too expensive to only use it for a month or so. The other carriers that we have are the Maya Wrap ( www.mayawrap.com I think) --sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I think I would have problems using it for an extended time. The Baby Trekker ( www.babytrekker.com )is wonderful & supposed to be good up to 40 pounds. The only thing I dont like about it is I wish it had head support like the Baby Bjorn does for when your baby is asleep. The Hip Hammock ( www.hiphammock.com ) is very simple to use and less bulky than the Baby Trekker, but not quite as comfortable. Its also supposed to be good up to 40 pounds.

Some people will tell you that you need to go with slings or pouches rather than front carriers because the front carriers are not good for developing babies' hips and spine. I only believe about half of what our pediatrician says, but he says unless the baby is living in the carriers around the clock, that the front carriers won't cause problems. I think a lot of people here like the adjustible fleece pouch from www.kangaroocorner.com . I'm sort of tempted to try that one out too but I dont know what the weight limit is. I like to get my carriers off of Ebay where they're not as expensive. That way I can afford a variety!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 3:57am
I couldn't stand my neighbor's baby bjorn, but I love my maya wrap and my nojo sling. I think the nojo is better for infants and the maya is better for my toddler now that he's older.

HTH

Tracie

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 6:40pm
I like it for tiny newborns, but not as much for older babies (older than 4-5 months). Since you waited until your baby is 3 months old, you aren't going to get much use out of it. If you are definately planning on having another baby, it might be worth the money, but otherwise I'd get something else. I started using a hip hammock when DS was around 20 lbs.

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-13-2003 - 8:28pm
Thank you everyone for your answers. I'll look into the others. THANKS again

Heather