sling problems

iVillage Member
sling problems
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 2:35pm
My dearest little Lulu (4 mos.) doesn't like the sling AT all. My first one loved it, never wanted to be anywhere else. I've been trying different positions, and trying different ages (when she was a newborn and didn't like it, I waited and tried again at various times), but she rarely seems to like being in it. Only when we're out somewhere, shopping or whatever, and she's facing out, does she seem to tolerate it. She won't nurse in it, and when I try to put her in it so that I can do some laundry etc., she cries. So I end up holding her, which is awkward if you're trying to do something else, so I don't, I just hold her. And no laundry gets done--my six-year-old told me this morning that I'm a bad mom because she didn't have any clean socks ;-)

Any suggestions?

Jael

iVillage Member
In reply to: jael512
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 11:38pm
What about one of those 'snuggli' carriers from Toys R Us? Kind of like a backpack in the front?

Does she like to be in a bouncy seat or swing?

My kids are moody and sometimes they just needed 'floor time' - it's like they got overstimulated (maybe understimulated who knows?) in the carrier and just needed to lay it out for a while.

I've never used a sling (There's actually one STUCK in a sewing machine I borrowed at this very moment - but thats a different story) but I know there are lots of positions LOTS If you go to 10 different sites all the basic ones will be the same but there are just SO many.

LAUNDRY TIP THAT SAVED MY MARRIAGE: Throw away ALL of your laundry baskets but one small one. Keep a triple sorter near the washer (available at target etc). Teach everyone that dirty clothes go in the sorter and teach them which one is whites, darks, lights. Use the one saved basket to transport stray laundry (yes it will happen) from upstairs or wherever. Do a quick check each morning and transport it down. When a section gets full toss in the wash and so on and so forth.

This totally saved me from horrendous mountains and from asking my first grader to find the 'cleanest' ones from his pile *bowing head in shame*

(((hugs)))

iVillage Member
In reply to: jael512
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 3:39pm
Thanks so much for your message. I actually have a Snugli, a Baby Bjorn, and a Sling. I'm as covered as I can be. I think the issue with Lulu is more that she wants to be held and be able to move around--she's really in the wiggly stage now. Regardless of which carrier I use, she pushes her feet and arches her back. Think I'll just wait a few weeks and try again, everything changes so quickly with the little ones, no?

Great laundry suggestion. Sometimes the sorting is the most intimidating part of getting the laundry started.

Ciao,

Jana