I got a Swanke Hip Hammock

iVillage Member
I got a Swanke Hip Hammock
Tue, 10-05-2004 - 9:19am
I bought an original Hip Hammock on Ebay, cuz I did not want the black fabric that Playtex makes it in. So I finally get it yesterday and DS was not wanting me to go into the kitchen without him so I put it to use. I swear right when I put him in it he looked at my boob and was like, "well, while I'm down here..." so I popped the top and let him nurse, he then promptly closed his eyes and took a mini-nap while nursing!

Well that took no getting used to now did it??

FYI, I have never slung my baby. I have a Baby Bjorn that I used while going out and about, but never nursed him in it.

yippee

doreen

Doreen

Tom’s Wife and Chuckies’ Mom

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-05-2004 - 12:33pm
I'm glad you like it! I love mine..nursing was really easy in it and DS would always fall asleep. He hates laying down so nursing in a sling never worked for us. When I need to carry DS now (he's 3.5 yrs) the hip hammock is the only thing that will work, everything else hurts my shoulder.

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-05-2004 - 2:01pm
Thanks! I am really glad to hear you still use it DS is only 8 months old and I think one of the only things I have really gotten my moneys worth from is my pumps!!

My fancy italian Pali crib has never had a baby sleep in it. My husband wants to wash the bedding because it is probably dusty! I said no, because it is the ultra-chic Maddie-Boo Jaqueline bedding and I can probably get a coupla hundred bucks on ebay for it, so I would like to say it was only washed once!

Swing, gave it away.... Bouncy Seat - I only use it once in a while to feed him in. Fancy Pottery Barn nursery rug, well he is never in that room! Arms Reach Co-Sleeper? It holds all of my stuff I need at arms reach - water bottle, eyeglasses etc... but no baby.

Stroller? Another fancy italian waste o money - I do use it OCCASIONALLY. Usually just to hold the diaper bag, camera and purse when we go on a day trip (which we have only done once!)

So what will I use? A used hip hammock I got for a few bucks on ebay. figures....

doreen

Doreen

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-17-2004 - 10:28pm
Doreen and Sarah, I was interested by your posts (although I know they're days old), so I went looking for a hip hammock too. It does look like a good thing. I have a NoJo babysling that I really love, but it tends to slip a bit, and I'm just looking around for something else. My daughter is over 26 pounds but really loves to be held. The sling just doesn't work well anymore for carrying her while doing housework--Sarah, do you carry your big kid around the house in it? (or did you?) I'm seriously considering buying one of these things! Considering I've used my NoJo for years with two kids and paid all of $5 for it (it was a store return), I probably could consider spending a little more money on a babywearing item! Any other thoughts, anyone, on hip hammocks? Thanks!

Annie

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 8:59am
I have never been a big baby-wearer. I do "BW" when we go out though. MAYBE once a week in the house, he is happier to play on the floor it seems.

I will say that the Baby Bjorn seemed more comfortable to me when he was lighter (he is now about 24 lbs) I need to get used to the hip hammock, HE loves it! he can touch my face and look at me in it. He just seems a little unbalanced in the hip hammock and I am concerned that it may tighten against his leg without me noticing (this HAS NOT happened yet, but for some reason it seems like it could)

I was not able to nurse in the Bjorn, but that is the first thing he did when I put himi in the hip hammock. We went to the grocery store and he started to get a little fussy and I had a nursing shirt on, and I NIPed right there in the dried goods aisle. Superb.

All in all I am happy with it, not as *perfect* as I was hoping. I bought mine on EBay as I did not want the Playtex all black one. I guess the Nancy Swanke woman sold her patent for it to Playtex.

They are pretty popular on ebay though, so you wont be gettng any deals, they seem to go for about 30 - 40 $ depending on the fabric, and that is what the new ones cost.

doreen

Doreen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 11:50am
The Swanke ones were more like $50-60, so $30-40 isn't bad.

When you say that your baby is "unbalanced"..do you have the straps adjusted correctly? The waist strap should be tight around your waist(not on your hips) and the shoulder strap should hold the baby securely against your chest.

Sara

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 12:00pm
NO--LOL..I don't wear my son around the house anymore in a carrier. He wouldn't like it if I tried...he's very independent now, and hates it if I even try to give him a hug when he doesn't want one. His legs are really long and they get in the way when I walk..his feet are down by my knees ;)

The only time the carrier gets used anymore is when we are walking and for whatever reason he has decided he doesn't want to walk anymore (or doesn't want to ride in the stroller anymore). The last time I had to use a carrier much was when we were in NewYork in June, DS was 3 yrs 3 months...I have a good picture of us by the Hudson river with DS in the Hip Hammock..It is on DH's computer and I will post a link to it later today.

I wouldn't worry about spending the money on more carriers-most of them can be resold for practically what you pay for them (especially if you buy them used to begin with!)

Sara

Sara

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 12:33pm
Here's the picture, it's not as good as I remember it :) It doesn't show the carrier well, and as you can tell, I have to support him with my arms now otherwise he gets too heavy after a long period time. But it's better than using my arms! I can't carry him more than a couple of minutes with my arms.

http://home.comcast.net/~sara.gower/hiphammock.jpg

Sara

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 3:40pm
Glad to hear you guys rave about this - I got a Playtex Hip Hammock for my shower, that I'll be eager to try out once I have a waist again, lol.

Elizabeth
Mama to Maggie and Liam

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 4:12pm
Beautiful picture! I will check out my straps tomorrow - its a mom and chuckie day - no work ! yipee !

I do think the shoulder strap is way too loose. I know it is not tight at all.

thanks again, and what a great picture (not of the hip hammock, but a really nice picture!)

doreen

Doreen

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 8:11pm
Hey, I wanted to share a link with ya'll. The Mei Hip carrier looks pretty cool. From talking with the lady that came up with the design her intent was to help keep the weight of the carrier off her neck. I had pulled this up the other day for a friend that was having problems with her hip hammock, the strap was riding up her neck. If Annette liked to be hip carried it would be great, but right now we are doing tummy to tummy or on my back her mei tai.

ivsig

Pages