Slings--Need help deciding!

iVillage Member
Slings--Need help deciding!
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 8:43am
I am new to posting on this board. I just had a question about slings. I didn't have one with my first child but, I am seriously considering it for this baby (EDD 3-10-05). I have no idea how to go about picking one. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Shannon

DD 3-28-03

EDD 3-10-05

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 11:06am

I personally prefer my ring slings because they are so adjustable. Many people here like pouches because there is nothing to adjust on them, but they have to be well fitted. I have also recently started making mei tais (also known as asian baby carriers). They have straps going over both shoulders and around the waist so they distribute weight better then most of things carriers. Here are some links to information about different types of slings http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sling.html

ivsig

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 2:32pm
You also want to decide whether you want a padded or unpadded sling. Padded slings are more comfortable for some people, and I find it's easier to get baby in and out, but they can be bulky. Unpadded slings have a lot less bulk, so they are cooler and I think they look a lot "slimmer" when you wear them.

I have a Sling-Ezee, which is a padded ring sling. It's made by Parenting Concepts, a SAHM business. I like it a lot, but it is very bulky to wear out. I also have a Maya adjustable pouch, which is the ultimate no-frills unpadded sling, and it comes in lovely fabrics. I also like it a lot, although it does tend to restrict my left arm movement. I would recommend either one.

Llyra

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 2:42pm
Personally, as a non-experienced sling-wearer, I prefer my HotSling. It's a non-adjustable pouch (see hotslings.com) And, it is BY FAR the easiest no-fuss carrier I have. It was so super when my bean was just a teeny newborn (he slept ALL The time in it), and now he's almost 4 mos, and in the kangaroo carry, and loves to look out.

You can do the same thing with ring slings, but it always seemed to be a different feel everytime I used it, whereas the pouch is always easy, always fits right, and fits in my (rather small) purse/bag with no problem! And, I nurse in it occassionally, too.

Good luck and happy baby-wearing.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 4:13pm
HOTSLING! HOTSLING! HOTSLING!

I have 4 of them, all purchased within the past 6 months. I was a Baby Bjorn user before I decided to try out a sling. It took a little learning, but with a few tries and a couple of practice runs - its super easy, and super compact (even with the leg rails). Plus, Kristen's customer service is awesome.

Good Luck!

-Abigail