sun protection in sling and a rant!

iVillage Member
sun protection in sling and a rant!
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 2:41pm
I would like to take my daughter (one month old) for walks outside in the sling. I need to exercise to lose my pregnancy weight, and I hate the stroller. But I am worried about how to protect her from the sun. When she's in the Maya pouch, she sits deep enough that I can pull the rails over her to cover her, but she'll only tolerate that when she's asleep- when she wakes up, she screams until I raise her head up. And in my Sling-Ezee there's no way to cover her at all.

Does anyone have any creative suggestions for how to cover her in a way that maybe won't upset her so much? I already put her in long sleeves with little mittens to keep her arms and hands covered, but her neck and face are still a problem, and when she's lying down a hat isn't much protection...

This may be an unsolvable problem, but I figured it was worth asking just in case someone had an idea. Thanks in advance!

Llyra

On a side note, I have a little rant to share! I had Julia in the Sling-Ezee today in Babies R Us ( I went to spend a gift card MIL gave me) and some lady came up to me out of the blue and informed me that my daughter looked so uncomfortable all scrunched up inside "that thing" and that I was going to stunt her growth cooping her up in there and it was going to damage her bones. Now, if you could have seen how happy and cozy Julia was, snoozing away in there, you would realize how I was torn between wanting to slap the woman and just wanting to LAUGH at her. Believe me, my child has no problem making her opinion known, and if she was uncomfortable she'd be howling! The woman in question was pushing around a stroller the size of a minivan, with her daughter over one shoulder and trying to balance a whole lot of packages at the same time, and the baby was screaming, and here I was with a happy kid and both hands free.

Some people really need to mind their own business anyway, don't you think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 3:20pm

Ugh - sorry about the lady making rude comments!

Elizabeth
Mama to Maggie and Liam

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-06-2004 - 4:06pm

Un-frickin-real.

AP Board:  Owen born 6/6/02.  Ann Louise Gittleman for the woman in me, Martha and William Sears for the mom in me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-07-2004 - 9:58pm
I have never done this (it is too windy where I live) but in many parts of the world it is very normal for women to walk with a sun umbrella . . . very wise if you ask me. Anyway, I was thinking that an umbrella might provide the sum protection you need while still allowing your DD to "see."

I always used the front carrier for walks, and it is much easier to keep them covered in one of those.

Cathy

Cathy

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-07-2004 - 10:31pm
This is a very good idea! I live in south Louisiana and there are many people around here that use an umbrella to keep the sun off when they are outside. I personally try to stay inside when the sun is at its highest, but when I have to be outside for extended periods of time during high sun times I do use an umbrella for shade.

Kristina
Proud

ivsig

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2004 - 11:40am
Ok, I was getting annoyed by the woman's comments until

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2004 - 1:52pm
Lets get this out of the way:

I was going to say umbrella too, or get yourself a big sunhat and either wear it, or use it to shade baby (or a fan or anything else you can hold to sheild sun. Also, as, i think elizabeth said, the sun is not so strong now, I always let DS get a little sun, 5-10 minutes morning or afternoon sun, good for vitamin D!!

Now.... Pray tell, what did you say to psychobabble at the store? My choices:

Thanks for the advice doctor. Where should I send payment?

Oh gee and I thought she was actually very comfortable since she is sleeping so nicely like this. Thanks for wisdom.

or my favorite, said in an exasperated... tired voice..:

F*%k Y$u

(I really hope I didnt offend anyone, but I just had ....)

doreen

Doreen

Tom’s Wife and Chuckies’ Mom

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2004 - 2:26pm
Duh - why didn't I think of that?!

Elizabeth
Mama to Maggie and Liam

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-08-2004 - 8:56pm
<>

That about says it all. How else can you respond to someone so opinionated about such ignorance?

I was going to suggest an umbrella, but I see that some others already have!

Leslie

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-10-2004 - 12:00am

OMG, what an idiot!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-11-2004 - 5:39pm
I had a lot of trouble saying ANYTHING to the woman, I was so stunned. I just kind of gaped at her, and then turned around and starting acting like I was searching through a rack. I thought of a ton of great comments AFTERWARDS, though, and I wish I'd been quick enough to come up with one of them on the spot. That always happens to me-- I don't think of the good comments until later.

Today I figured out that I can put DD in a snuggle hold and pull the top rail high up over her head, and then put a hat on her, and she'll put up with it if she's not too warm. That'll work until she's too big to keep facing me, and then I'll have to try something else. Thank you all for the suggestions.

We're very fair-skinned (Irish) and she'd probably burn before you could say BOO. I have her changing table near a window so she does get some sun, but direct sun would be too much for her until she's old enough for sunscreen.

Llyra

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pages