Little one's legs turning blue in sling!

iVillage Member
Little one's legs turning blue in sling!
Thu, 10-07-2004 - 4:13pm

I just moved from a traditional carrier to a Maya wrap

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-07-2004 - 6:03pm
Are you having problems with his legs when they are inside the sling or only when they are dangling out? I have heard of babies getting red marks on their legs from their weight resting on the rails of the sling, but not turing blue. I would be worried about that too. Are his knees higher then his bottom in the sling when they turn blue? That can help with the red marks so maybe it can help with the turning blue issues too? Until we can get this figured out why his legs are turning red, I would probably use the carrier just to make sure his legs are OK.

Kristina
Proud

ivsig

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-07-2004 - 6:38pm

Thanks! His legs turn blue in the sling. When I dangle them out, he's fine.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-11-2004 - 9:37pm
DS always got red marks on the back of his legs with the maya wrap. I would only use it if I knew that I wouldn't be using it for long. I switched back to my Slingeeze because of the patting. This is like the Over the shoulder baby holder, just with a little less padding.

HTH,

Tiffany

Tiffany

mommy to Logan 9/17/02 & Leah 11/24/07 VBAC

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-17-2004 - 1:27am
Cat,

I just wanted to let you know that this has happened to me, too. It really freaked me out. This happened when Josh's legs were dangling out in the side carry, though, and it was because it was much tighter on the back leg than the front leg-- which was hard for me to tell. I'm really careful now and check his legs all the time to make sure they are not turning purple/blue on me.

Edited to add: I found that making sure (as pp said) that ds butt is lower than knees is very helpful to proper positioning- and have'nt had this problem since doing that.

I have not had the problem with the kangaroo carry, but one thing I have done is switch his legs (moving the leg folded on top to below, etc) if he's in that position for more than 30 minutes.

I'm not sure if that would help you or not, but it was easier to do than I thought it would be.

I also had the leg turn blue once when a cloth diaper I was using got put on too tightly-- yikes. I'm going to be a bit paranoid as we move into winter and his legs become covered in pants-- and I can't see them.

So, no, you're not alone-- take care.

Jessica and Joshua

Edited 10/17/2004 3:18 am ET ET by jessjgh1

<Photobucket