Opinions please Sutemi / Ergo

iVillage Member
Opinions please Sutemi / Ergo
Sun, 10-17-2004 - 1:44am
I've been trying to find a good carrier that won't bother my back/neck and I'm hoping the Sutemi pack will work. I have some questions for the experts here, especially since I can't really afford the Sutemi and if I end up with another sling that doesn't work, I'm going to be just as upset as my dh )-;

I am looking for a sling that is easy to get on- keep in mind I seem to be sling-challenged and have had a hard time with every sling I've tried. I'd also love to find a carrier that I can use while sitting down.... I have not had much success doing that with the Maya unless I sit down for a long period. But I'm usually up and down every 10 minutes or so.

I'd mostly be using the sling around the house, but this one looks like it would also be great for walks, grocery store, etc-- am I right?

CAN you use the Sutemi on both shoulders easily??

I'd also consider the Ergo, but I've noticed 2 drawbacks-- one is it doesn't seem to be able to have a side carry, and two, I've seen more positive reviews about the comfort of the sutemi, in comparison. Anyone disagree or have further comments...

I have a Maya wrap which I'm not so good at using, but I'm getting better. It does, however, get uncomfortable after awhile. I have a Baby Bjorn (which definatly hurts my back now), I have a wrap-type sling which I'm not so good at figuring out, and a Nojo which I haven't used in months. My son is 6 1/2 months old and around 17 pounds. I hope that is enough background

Thanks for your help!

Jessica and Joshua

Edited 10/17/2004 3:29 am ET ET by jessjgh1

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-17-2004 - 2:52pm
I had a sutemi and I wasn't that thrilled with it. It can be used on the front, back and either side. I didn't think it worked that great on the side, if that is the main carry you want to use I don't think it is the best choice. Also, the fabric seemed *really* rough. I didn't wash it ever, so it may have softened up with use, but I don't think it would have softened much.

I have heard many more positive things about the Ergo than the Sutemi. Most people really like it for the back carry. It can't be used on the side.

Another option very similar to the ergo is the baby trekker. It can be used front or back facing in or out.

My very favorite non-sling carrier is the Hip Hammock..it used to be a WAHM made product but is now made by Playtex and can be bought in a few stores. I have no idea if the Playtex version is as nice as the original, I know that the fabric isn't as nice, but the overall design seems to be the same. The original hip hammock had to be ordered for one shoulder or the other, I don't know if there are 2 versions of the playtex one or not. I have the right shoulder Hip hammock, and I have used it on my left shoulder. The only problem is that the latch on the strap then ends up on your back. It isn't *really* a problem, if you are wearing it long term. If you were doing a lot of on and off it would get to be a pain. YOu *have* to make sure you have the straps adjusted correctly or it will hurt your shoulder. I still use the hip hammock for my 3.5 year old. I started when he was about 8 months, I could have started earlier. When he was younger I could wear him on my front. It is really easy to nurse in the hip hammock too.

My favorite type of carrier *period* is a pouch sling or a fleece sling. Both have to be the perfect size to work well, but when they work well they are the *perfect* carrier. I lke Maya wraps for young infants and I hated the Nojo sling. The bjorn is good for about 6 months. Wraps are fun to play with, but they were never very practical for me to use in every day life.

hope this helps!

Sara

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 7:15pm
I got a Sutemi pack to try this time around (EDD 11/9). I did use it with my 2+ year old a little at the beginning of my pregnancy and didn't get any back pain and was able to easily nurse her. I hope it works out. I have a friend with an Ergo and she really likes it, so I guess it could be a good way to go as well.

Cathy

Cathy

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-18-2004 - 8:42pm

Hi,

I own a sutemi and it is the main carrier I use (I also own a ring sling, baby bjorn, mobywrap, and new native -- I know, it's obscene!). I have borrowed the Ergo from a friend and used it on a week-long trip.

I do like the sutemi -- the downside of it for me is that is bulkier (when not on) than others and it feels sorta "strappy" and less natural than some other slings. However, it can't be beat for comfort. Since the weight of the baby rests on your hips, it does not cause me shoulder or back pain at all. (I do stretch my lower back after wearing it, though, and that feels nice.)

I have worn my baby in it and gone on 2-hour walks. I also walk my DS to sleep every night (around the neighborhood), wearing it. He really likes it. BTW, I almost exclusively use it as a front carrier. I tried the side a couple of times -- not comfy. And the back carry is a bit awkward, since the straps cross in the front, though I have thought about trying it w/o crossing the straps. It seems like it would work

-Stacy
Married to Rom
Mom to Orlando, August 2003

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 12:19pm
thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try the sutemi since it has a good return policy and naturalbabies.com sells it-- so the purchase went in with cloth diapers and a shower gift for my friend. that masks the cost a little.

I guess I should set up my laptop so I can stand at it- lol.

Thanks again.

Jessica

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 1:32pm
I have the Ergo and really like it. I think it is hands down the best carrier I have owned. I have never used a Sutemi so I don't know what that is. It is a drawback not being able to do the side carry but I use a ring sling for general running around so that works for side carry. I personally think the Ergo is very comfortable.

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-19-2004 - 9:14pm
I actually did a side-by-side (or back by back) comparison of the Sutemi and the Ergo. I think both are similar in ease-of-getting-child-in. Not really easy, but not too bad. You get the hang of it. The Sutemi was very uncomfortable when I got it on. The shoulder straps either have to cross right under your neck, or crisscross in the middle of your breasts. Neither was comfortable to me.

The ergo has a strap that buckles across the top of your chest to keep the shoulder straps from slipping off, which I liked a lot better. Also, the shoulder straps are more padded and more comfortable. The only thing about the ergo is that when you want to do the front-carry, I couldn't figure out how to get the buckle done without someone there to do it. I still ended up getting the ergo and I really like it. My 16 month old is 27 pounds and she digs it. For sleeping, I would recommend the hood extender, because the one built in doesn't even cover half of her head.

Hope this helps.

Colin