it hurts

iVillage Member
it hurts
Fri, 10-22-2004 - 7:39pm

sometimes to carry my 3 1/2 month old in the sling - i'm an older mom and my back and hips hurt. the bjorn helps some but he doesn't like it as much. i have a sutemi also - should i try that?

i want to wear him, but not at the expense of hurting my own body...

iVillage Member
In reply to: mariaglanz
Fri, 10-22-2004 - 8:37pm

My first thought is that if it hurts something is wrong. What kind of sling are you using? Is the fabric spread wide across your back? If it is a ring sling, where are the rings in relation to your shoulder? How low

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-22-2004 - 10:59pm
I agree that if the sling is hurting it might not be on right. How have you got the rings sitting and is the material spread across your back and shoulder? That really helps to distribute the weight. I still carry my 2.75 year old 37-38lbs dd in a sling for short carries and I would not be doing that if it was causing me pain. For longer carries I do use a mei tai so that the weight is distributed over shoulder back and hips so trying the sutemi would probably be a good idea too. If the sutemi works well you might want to check out some mei tais or possibly some wraps they spread the weight better over your body.

ivsig

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-28-2004 - 9:37pm
I found that the sling hurt at first some, as i was weak from pregnancy and birth. You may want to do some strengthening excersises, even just walking more. If you're a new mother, you arent too old to be in half-decent shape. Also usually it hurts less if the baby is higher up, rather than hanging low down -- try to pull the baby tightly against your chest. Finally, once she's holding her head up better, you can try a hip carrier like my favorite http://www.rideoncarriers.com/index.html or a soft backpack like the ergo, becuase they also have waist-straps to hold more of the weight on your hips rather than shoulders.

good luck

Cara mother to

dd HEron 12

ds Orion 8

ds Raven 13 mo