I want to wear my baby, how to start?

iVillage Member
I want to wear my baby, how to start?
Sun, 10-24-2004 - 2:45pm
Liam hated being swaddled from day one. I would put him in the baby Bjorn when I had tried all other ways to get him to fall asleep. I knew he'd scream, but as soon as I had danced 1-2 songs he'd be laughing & then lulled to sleep. Quite the workout for me, especially in the summer, but it's what I had to do.

That was the ONLY time I could use the Baby Bjorn.

The ONLY time I got to snuggle with him was while I nursed. When he was done he was out of there (not the boy I have today who LOVES to snuggle with me!)

Liam is currently 2.5 years. I never felt comfortable NIP. I know I'm going to struggle with it again. So I'me going to get the Maya Wrap. Unpadded so I can use the extra cloth on the tail to cover up even more & not be so hot in the summer.

Are there tips to start with a newborn? Such as start wearing while in the hospital? I know baby wearing is something that was custom at one time, so I know it can be done. I just want to start it out right to make it pleasureable for the both of us.

Then I think I can keep up with my 2 yo & NIP while giving my little girl the closeness my 1st received.

TIA!!

Bonnie

Liam 3/26/02

Tara EDD 12/5/04

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-24-2004 - 4:43pm
Starting out early sounds like a good plan. Trying different sorts of carriers is also a good idea. There are ring slings like the maya you referenced, pouches, mei tais, wraps and I am sure there others I have not mentioned. In the end part of if does come down to your baby's temperament some babies like to be snuggled and others prefer a little more personal space. There are a number of different places online to get information about slings, talking with the ladies here is a great place to start imo. A couple others are http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sling.html

ivsig

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-24-2004 - 5:38pm
A Maya wrap is a great idea because it is so versatile-- my Julia started to scream every time I put her in the sling at about 4 weeks, and I figured out that she didn't like to be lying down, and a change of position solved the problem. With a sling, you can do that. Some babies aren't particularly cuddly, but they all need to be held and carried, and a sling is a great way to do that.

I started wearing Julia about 24 hours after she was born, in the hospital. The hospital staff was really supportive, which I was glad about. I used a cradle hold for 4 weeks, until Julia decided she didn't like it anymore. I wore her for about three hours a day during that time, and somtimes more if we were outdoors.

At four weeks, we switched to her being upright and facing me, with her feet hanging out and her head supported by the sling rail. That took some learning, to figure out how to do it safely, but now at 7 weeks she's happy in teh sling again.

She still fusses when I put her in sometimes. I walk around and bounce awhile, and usually she'll settle in and be happy, and if she doesn't I take her out and try again later. Sometimes she's not in the mood, and I'm trying to respect that.

She mostly sleeps when she's in there. I'm hoping she'll start being more alert when she's worn as she gets older.

Anyway, starting early worked for me, and trying different positions. Also, make sure the baby's not too warm in there- I made that mistake a few times, and found Julia absolutely bathed in sweat when I took her out- no wonder she fussed. They really only need a t-shirt and diaper in there, unless it's chilly out-- your body heat keeps them really warm.

Anyway, good luck with your new baby and with babywearing!

Llyra

Image and video hosting by TinyPic