suggestions, DS' outgrown the Bjorn!

iVillage Member
suggestions, DS' outgrown the Bjorn!
Tue, 10-26-2004 - 7:52pm
DS is 6 mths old and 20 lbs

Now that it is getting cooler, when he is in the Baby Bjorn and wearing his jacket (a fleece hoodie), he is all squished in there and looks really uncomfortable. Plus, he is getting just too big for the carrier. SO..

DH wants a bigger carrier, ideally one for rainy and cool weather as well as the nice weather days. Any suggestions?? Either a back or front..whatever works best.

TIA,

Rose

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 11:45am
Rose I'm right there with ya, although I'm still stuffing Jamie into the Bjorn. LOL I have a sling, but honestly I don't use it much because I think we waited too long with Jamie to start using it, so he's not crazy about it, and I'm just not getting the hang of it. It's such an acrobatic feat for me to get him in and out! I think I don't have a very good one either - a Nojo.

Anyway, we're thinking of getting a back carrier, although I love snuggling him in the Bjorn and I don't want to stop that! You can get really good back carriers with awnings and such so you don't have to worry about the rain. Many also have storage compartents, which I think would be fantastic for outings - put all the diaper supplies in there. I think this time of year (in Ontario anyway) is a good time to buy - it's kind of "out of season" so they might be cheaper. If we get one, I'll let you know what kind we buy and how we like it.
Lilypie Baby Days

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 2:24pm
I am a major fan of the Ergo Baby Carrier as a front and back carrier. It is the best carrier that I have ever owned. I also use a ring sling for my errands. I use the hip carry now that DD is older but when she was little her favorite carry was the Kangaroo carry. Here is the site where I bought my sling and ergo www.kangarookorner.com. They also do sling comparison. I have been wishing for their fleece pouch for a long time but haven't broken down and bought it yet.

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 4:11pm
Hmmm...why do you suppose they're discontinuing it?
Lilypie Baby Days

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 4:37pm
I don't know why
Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-27-2004 - 5:56pm
Rose! My neighbour just gave me this. I'll let you know how it goes! :) (and it's Canadian-made too!)

http://www.babytrekker.com/

Lilypie Baby Days

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-28-2004 - 9:33am
That is the problem with the Bjorn - I liked it so much but there is no adjustment for the baby's girth! What if you have a really pudgy infant!

Anyway, enough of my moaning - I got a Hip Hammock and it is really nice. I never got into the sling thing (now I kind of wish I did) But the hip hammock works really great, and the nice thing vs. the Bjorn is baby has more viewing radius on your hip. He can look at your face or in front of you or behind you.

I bought mine on Ebay, because I wanted something other than black, which is all Playtex sells right now. They bought the patent from this woman named Nancy Swanke who used to make them in many different colors and patterns. Search Ebay for Swanke and there should be a few. Expect to spend about 30-40 $ depending on the material.

doreen

Doreen

Tom’s Wife and Chuckies’ Mom