Baby Bjorn Type Carrier & Hip Probs?

iVillage Member
Baby Bjorn Type Carrier & Hip Probs?
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 8:26am
Hi,

I'm new to this board, just introduced myself in the Intro section and posted a question about co-sleeping.

Wondering if any of you have heard that carrying a baby in a baby-bjorn type carrier puts too much pressure on the babies hips and is not good for them? A lacation consultant told me this. I've been using the New Native Sling and my daughter seems to like it, plus I can breastfeed her in it. BUT, there are times that I think the Bjorn would work better (like to take evening strolls to help calm her down but not have her all bunched up in the sling. ALSO, when it's a bit warm outside (I live in FL), the sling can be a little suffocating, and I thought the carrier would have more breating room. Any thoughts on potential problems with that front carrier?

Thanks!

Lara

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 10:34am
Hi Lara, I used a snuggli with my dd before finding the wonderful world of slings and there was no info out then about them possibly being bad. I did find one article about those type of carriers causing problems. It looks somewhat technical, but it also from a mom's point of view http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

ivsig

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2004 - 11:23pm

Pretty soon your dd will be to big for the Bjorn (or it will be too uncomfy for you). It is a big investment, and yeah, you probably will use it, but I found that it was hard to walk far after my son was about 3-4 months old. It just killed MY back.

I just mention this because I'm not sure there is ONE perfect carrier for all the ages and stages (not to mention climates!)

Here are some sights that review carriers:

www.thebabywearer.com
www.kangarookorner.com
www.mamatoto.org

I know there are various opinions about the Bjorn, but I did worry a little about all my ds weight being on his pelvis-- he would fall asleep and just dangle there.

I now have a Sutemi, which is almost exactly like an Ergo, if you have heard of that. These packs are similar to the Bjorn, so I'd take a look and see what you think. With the addition of a head cradle, you are supposed to be able to use the Sutemi from birth (I'm not sure about the Ergo). (www.sutemigear.com or www.ergobabycarrier.com

The Sutemi takes a few seconds longer than a Bjorn, but it is worth it for BOTH your comfort and the babies! I beleive they are all about the same price, and the Sutemi and Ergo have satisfaction gaurantees, too.

Hope that helps!

Jessica and Joshua

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-17-2004 - 11:26pm

I forgot to add that I'm not sure about b-feeding in the carriers. All 3 that I mentioned SAY you are supposed to, but in reality it might be difficult. I just have not tried it, although I suppose I think it would be relatively easy in the hip carry-- just wouldn't offer the coverage a sling does.

Maybe someone else could answer that if you are concerned about nursing/coverage, etc.

Jessica

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-18-2004 - 12:39pm

it is just a theory, I have never read a real study done on this so it is hard to form an opinion one way or the other. It is a line that sling companies use to make slings look better than carriers. IMO it is just good to get people to keep their babies close, no matter what kind of carrier they use!

FWIW, we did use a bjorn for about 6 months and my son's hips are fine ;) I didn't know about the problems that it may or may not cause at the time, and I'm not sure it would have mattered to me. My DS loved the bjorn, I found it more convenient than a sling for a young baby. At a certain point a sling became easier and more comfortable than the carrier. When he could sit up on my hip and hold his head up. The bjorn can get hot too, my chest would sweat quite a bit and it caused milk leakage in the early weeks. I could never BF in it.

hth!
Sara

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings