Sling question

iVillage Member
Sling question
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 1:33pm
When I was trying to pick out a sling before Jadzia was born, I saw reviews both favorable and unfavorable for just about every sling I looked at. So, I got frustrated and just picked up the sling they had at Target, which is by Infantino. Its fine, except that its very heavily padded on the bottom and I live in South Florida. Its still nearly 90 degrees outside midday! I was walking with her in the park at 8:30 this morning and she started to cry in the sling but was fine as soon as I took her out (I ended up walking home with her a mile and a half in my arms because she did NOT want to be put back!). I'm sure it was because she was too warm, because generally she loves the sling.

So, I'm looking for a sling that is as cool as possible. Relatively thin, breathable fabric with no padding. Does anyone have a suggestion? I love taking her in the park with the sling, but I don't want her too hot. We'll have a few cool days coming up, but my sweaters last me 15 years, if you know what I'm saying. There are enough warm days still to come! TIA!

Joy & Jadzia 10/14/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 2:06pm
I live in south Louisiana so I understand where you are coming from on hot days, although we are cooling off some now. For a light weight sling I would go with something 100% cotton. My favorite sling is an unbleached muslin that is super light weight. I had a snuggli that I used with my dd until she was about 9 months, but we could never use it outdoors after February or March the year she was born or she would quickly overheat.

ivsig

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 7:59pm
I have a great sling from Sweet Fletcher Designs. It is lightweight, breathable cotton, so I was able to use it all summer long (in Savannah, Georgia.) They have fun fabrics to pick from and the slings are also reversible.

http://www.sweetfletcher.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 9:35pm
My MayaWrap is very breathable and lightweight- 100% cotton- check out www.mayawrap.com

hth!

Cyndy

Talitha, 13, and Charlie 7/19/04

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-15-2004 - 10:26pm
hi joy!

I'm from hot, tropical s'pore and my sarong sling is great. It's like the maya wrap. I've used it on walks and at the pool side while dd played in the pool w/o completely overheating. It's cotton, lightweight and adjustable. Take a look at this site: www.momsinmind.com.sg

EeLin

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-16-2004 - 11:14am
Thanks everyone for the input! Those Sweet Fletcher slings are certainly some of the prettiest I've seen! How do they adjust?

Joy

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-16-2004 - 7:41pm
You buy the sling sized to the adult who will be wearing it, so if your husband wanted to use it he might need a different size. They are adjustable simply by the way you place the sling across your shoulder - pulling it down lower or stretching open the fabric (so it shows some of the inside fabric) will pull the baby in tighter to your body. It is really simple to use, and I like that there aren't any rings or buckles to deal with. Plus I just love how pretty it is - people stop me all the time to ask where I got it!