sling question follow up!

iVillage Member
sling question follow up!
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 9:53am

I ended up getting a Maya Wrap sling a few days ago...and I can't seem to get the hang of it!! I'm not sure how long Jadzia is now (she was 21 inches at 3 weeks--she's almost 6 weeks now), but I can't figure out how to situate her in the sling so that she fits correctly. She always seems too long. When I tried to put her in with her feet toward the rings, her head bent around my left side. Then I put her feet away from the rings and I couldn't fit her head in. What am I doing wrong? Her head still needs support, so I can't leave her sitting up or anything. Am I not putting her deep enough in the pouch? Every time I try to figure this thing out, I end up making her cry. :-(

This sling seems a lot more versitile than the Infantino padded one I have, but it took me all of 2 seconds to figure out how to get her in the Infantino sling! This one is much tougher! Either that or I'm just a total spaz. TIA!

Joy & Jadzia 10/14/04

P.S. I watched the Maya Wrap DVD, too!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 10:25am
Take a look at these instructions and see if they might help http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/SRNewborn.htm

ivsig

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 12:49pm

yeah, I have a ring sling (not Maya) and a Maya pouch, and I had this problem with both of them while Julia was really small. She'd either be so deep in there that I was worried about airflow, or she'd be all twisted. The only thing I can say is just keep experimenting. I used to put her in with her head toward the rings, pretty high up, and cross her legs Indian style, so she wa s more sitting up than lying down. I also would put her in a Snuggle Hold , upright and facing me, with the sling pulled up to support her head. She'd always cry when I put her in there until she was about 8 or 10 weeks old-- if I walked around a while she'd settle. She cried less when she was more upright then when she was totally lying down. Be persistent-- it's only in the last two weeks (Julia's three months) that I can honestly say she's really liked her sling. I just kept trying for a few minutes a day.

It helps to have another adult available to help you when you're first getting the hang of it.

llyra
please excuse the occasioanl typo-- Julia's on my lap and she keeps kicking hte keyboard.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-24-2004 - 11:27pm

My DS is 4 months old, and is 28 1/4 inches long (was 22.3 at birth), and has never liked the newborn postion- he tolerated exactly once. Since then, he likes the position facing me, upright, with the sling around his bottom and back (used to be up high enough to support his head, but he doesn't need it now)- I think this is the snuggle hold?? He is liking other postions, too now, but prefers this one (DH says he looks like a baby monkey hanging off his momma LOL). Did you get the DVD or video with your sling?? try the other postions, modifying as needed for head support. It DOES take some getting used to, but is well worth the effort- DS has been ill this past week and too congested to fall asleep lying down, and I could wear him down in the sling instead easily (he is 20 pounds, so the regular walking would have killed me!).

hth!

Cyndy
Talitha, 13, and Charlie 7/19/04

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-25-2004 - 2:08am

Hi Joy

I have a similar sling so I know what you're talking abt.

Wld it help I wonder if you start out in the vertical or snuggle hold position with the fabric all the way up to her head, have her almost secure then gather her legs together and lie her down into the pouch while pulling up the fabric to cover her legs. In this way her legs are folded and her head is right at your breast level or just slightly lower.

That's what I do with ds (4mo).

The website www.theslinglady.com has an illustration and instructions that show you how to move from the snuggle hold to the cradle hold (lying down). The illustration shows the baby ending up with head and legs out of the sling but it's a matter of pulling the fabric to cover, i think.

Here's the link: http://www.theslinglady.com/tmt_unpadded_slings.html#instructions

Hope you find the hold and fit that's perfect for you. My ds likes the snuggle hold when we're on the move. When he needs to sleep or nurse I just lie him down into the cradle hold. I'll loosen the rings until he's completely lying down in the sling and cover him up with the fabric and the tail.

HTH!

EeLin

Edited 11/25/2004 2:12 am ET ET by eell2003