How long can you sling?

iVillage Member
How long can you sling?
Tue, 11-30-2004 - 1:24pm

Just kind of wondering what everyone else's experiences are. I'd like to get a better sling than I have now, but can't afford to quite yet. So, I really want to know, will it be worth it when I can afford one? Emma's my last baby, so anything I get I won't be able to use w/anymore babies.

And if I do get a better sling, which ones do you recommend? I am short and small so I need something that won't overwhelm me. Right now, Emma is 9 weeks.

Thanks SO MUCH!

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-30-2004 - 2:22pm
I seem to be the exception around here, but I still use my sling with my soon to be 3 year old almost 40lbs dd from time to time. I more frequently use the mei tai I made a couple months back though. My personal favorite sling is an unbleached muslin sling that I made, it is very light weight and I worked on the shoulder cap design for about a year before I got it just how I wanted it for comfort.

ivsig

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-30-2004 - 5:56pm

While I primarily use the slings for our twins I have given my DS Piggy back rides using it. He weighs 37 lbs and is 4 1/2yr. DS feels more secure and doesn't chock me; the sling also distributes his weight.

While Kristina loves the ring slings, I love the pouches. I'm also short and the tails of fabric drive me nuts. I also have never been successful in making the ring not hurt. I make my own which drastically reduces the price, from $20-$65 to under $10. There are several web sites that have directions for making both kinds. I took several patterns and altered them. My pouches are contoured and have a very small amount of padding on one side. And just in case you wind up hating a sling you bought, people have been getting great resale prices on eBay.

Good luck! It took me 6 years and 4 kids to find the fit I liked. Now I rave to everyone about them! Everyone is different and finding the right carrier is hard. But very worth it!

Lilypie Baby Birthday

Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-04-2004 - 12:25pm

I wore my kids in an adjustable sling until they were well over 2 years old. I just put them in the hip-sit position and carry them. This is very handy for nursing them as well, you just adjust the sling so it sits lower and then they can nurse while you grocery shop or whatever. If I wasn't carrying a newborn in a sling or carrier I would probably still be carrying my almost 3 DD in her sling.

Cathy

Cathy

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-12-2004 - 12:31am

I have a hotsling (http://www.hotslings.com) and the website shows wearing kids well into toddler-dom.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

^i^ 8/20/03

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-12-2004 - 6:45pm

It's definitely worth it! DS is 26 months old and I still use the sling, mostly a pouch sling (I have 3 hotslings and have sewn about a dozen in different colors myself, what can I say - I got addicted! LOL!) and I also have a couple of ring slings that I've made. If you can sew or know someone who does, it's very easy to make one yourself. These are good instructions: http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

You can also find more instructions here: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/crafts.html

And I think you can find very cheap used slings at ebay!

Good luck!

Silve

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-14-2004 - 10:12pm
I still carry Josh (almost 3) in my homemade ringed sling ( similar to a mayawrap)he loves it- it was exceptionally useful when we were traveling makes life so much easier in airposts and crowded stores and resturants I sometimes use it also

Lish, Mommy to

Joshua, David, Samuel

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-15-2004 - 12:38pm

I wore my son regularly until he was about 3.5 years old. I would probably still be wearing him except 1) I'm pregnant and have terrible back pain and 2) since weaning, my DS has become really independent and doesn't *want* to be carried ;) I think around 40 lbs is the cut off for slinging for me..

anything you get can be sold after you are done with it, buy used if you can to make it even cheaper.

slings are *really* easy to make too! Especially pouches like the Hotsling or NewNative Baby carrier. just hem the fabric edges and sew one seam, that's it! I love making fleece pouches, they are my favorite to use!

Sara

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-20-2004 - 2:47pm

I'm just reluctantly and sadly hanging up my padded ring sling at 2.75 years, or more importantly, 30 lbs. If we had more occasion to keep slinging, I'd invest in a different kind of carrier. My local AP/babywearing group members keep egging me on to get a Moby wrap, but we wouldn't use it often enough to justify the cost at this time. I would still carry her at this weight if she was more into it, and I had a different style of carrier.

Between 2 & 2.5 years, I actually used my sling a ton. We were moving and DD just had to be carried everywhere during the transition. I figured that I was carrying her anyways, so I might as well make it easier on myself with the sling. Its still handy sometimes when we are travelling or when we're at a parade or show or other crowded place. But the 2nd to last time I used it, DD was not into it (broke my heart!).

Investing either the money in buying or the time in making a sling will be well worth it. After breastfeeding, it has been my most powerful parenting tool!

Rhondda

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2004 - 10:44am

Gosh I have used mine on my 3 year olds. When they are that big and don't normally want to be carried around, I tend to only use it when they are sick and don't feel like walking around or even around the house when they are sick when they just want to be with mommy. Generally though I use their cues as to when to stop using it. I've only used Maya Wraps (I've tried different ones that belonged to other people though) and I LOVE them. I guess maybe I should say I love ring slings best cause I've liked other ring slings, I just never owned one to use all the time like I did the Maya.

I know a lot of people say, "oh i can't stand all the extra cloth the maya has" (I'm short and small structured) but I love it cause I use all that extra cloth for a variety of things and when I'm simply slinging, I tuck the cloth over my shoulder and under the part that is around my back so it's not in the way at all. I've also made my own ring slings - which is a good cheaper option for you... making your own.

Okay, that went into way more than I had planned! Good luck!

Tammy
DH Paul 9-97
DKs Christian Dwight 9-92; Amber Victoria “Toree” 4-94; Madison Cierra 9-98; Bailey Isaiah 10-00; Morgan Haley Christine 4-03
Godson Jace Alexander 9-4-03 to 2-25-04
www.geocities.com/mimi74_97

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-27-2004 - 9:39pm
I had trouble with the three different types of slings that I tried. DS is an extremely active, wiggly boy, and had no interest in being crowded into a sling. I ended up finding a wonderful carrier for him from www.rideoncarriers.com that is perfect!! He sits on my hip, and the carrier distributes his weight evenly between my shoulder, back and hips. I'll be giving this as a shower gift to everybody now. I couldn't get along without my carrier!
Grace
PS - a side note - husbands can use this carrier without feeling less "manly" - it's very tidy and streamlined, not feminine at all.