iVillage Member
How many hours do you NOT wear baby??
Sun, 12-05-2004 - 5:57pm

I mostly lurk here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com 

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-06-2004 - 3:35am

Let's see, your baby is almost 2 mos old. That's about when mine would allow me to put him in a bouncy seat or swing for a bit. But it was like a timer would go off after 15 mins! That was his limit, and I was so glad to have those 15 mins! I like to take a shower every day and would just make it fast. Of course it grew longer with time. Now he can sit in the swing for an hour while we make dinner (as long as he can see us).

Around 3 mos I think he'd sit in the bouncy seat for 30 mins. We have the kick n play so I'd put it on the continuous setting for about 5 mins to get him warmed up to it (that setting only plays music for 15 mins anyway), then turn on the shower, get my clothes ready, make the bed, etc., and when he was kicking real good I'd switch it over to the interactive mode (now that plays music as long as baby keeps kicking!) and I could take a longer shower or get a few more things done.

But other than that (and up until 2 mos), I think I pretty much held him all day. And we slept together all night, lol, so we were never apart! As you can guess, that is both good and bad. Anyway, my DS was (still is) an extremely clingy baby. He cried whenever I would put him down so consequently I didn't put him down much! I have 2 slings and a bjorn and they are all well-used. Even still today I can't move him well even if he is asleep, so if I nurse him to sleep on the couch, I just watch TV or surf the web on a laptop. Sometimes I really need to get stuff done, but if I move him he wakes up and is crabby (still needs the sleep but won't take it) so I still don't get it done. Usually I might lay down with him and take a quick nap too. Then later when he'll play on his own I'll try to get stuff done.

HTH, it does get better... I think...

Kim
Damon 06-24-04

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-06-2004 - 9:27am

DS is in his swing for about 20-30 minutes every AM while I pee and brush my teeth, etc. He also has a floor gym he loves (he is 4 months, BTW). I held him pretty much 24/7 until about a month ago, when he fell in love with the floor gym, and began being willing to use the swing, though it is only for a max of 30 minutes, 1-2x per day. I don't wear him much at home, I carry him instead so I can put him down easily in different rooms we are in, and we play a lot. He is a big baby, too, so I just grab him, walk him on my hip, and plop him to "big boy sit" (with pillows for support) in various places in the house where he can see me. I don't get much done, but he is convinced that the sling is for basketball games (DD and DH's) and walks, and we only use it in the house when he needs to be walked down vs nursed down due to illness, etc. I just can't bend and stoop, etc to do much housework wearing a 20 lb baby LOL.

There is nothing wrong with using swings, etc- as long as they aren't to replace you all the time- just for breaks, like you are doing. Even AP mamas gotta pee and shower!

hth!

Cyndy
Talitha, 13, and Charlie 7/19/04

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-06-2004 - 9:28am

oops- we use the sling at dr. apts, shopping, etc also- just not in the house as he likes to be on the floor or playing on your lap or with you, not riding. Otherwise I'd wear him more.

Cyndy
Talitha, 13, and Charlie 7/19/04

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-06-2004 - 10:31am

Up until recently, I wore Julia pretty much constantly, except for a half-hour in the am when I was showering, when she would sit in a vibrating chair. Now I have short hair, which I can wash in a bath, so we go in the tub together (used to be I was bathing twice on days when she needed a bath-- once to wash my hair, and once to go in with her.) I can't take her in teh shower because we have a problem with hot surges.

Also, DH would usually hold her a lot in the evenings, so I could cook and also relax a little by myself. But she was still being carried, only in his sling or his arms.

Lately, since she's been three months, she's asked to get out of the sling a lot, and seems to like a lot of time on the floor kicking and doing little "sit-ups," and also attempting to roll over. Also, sometimes she'll sit in the aforementioned vibrating chair and bat at toys. This is a recent thing, but she really likes it. I'm usually sitting right there with her, though.

The only time she's really left alone is when she's in the car.

We do have a swing, but she doesn't really like it. She gets this look like she's on a roller coaster and it's going downhill, and then she starts to bawl.

Llyra

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-07-2004 - 11:43am

You sound pretty AP to me!

~Elaine~
Co-community leader~Attachment Parenting Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-07-2004 - 11:59am
Thanks ladies!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-09-2004 - 2:35am

I hold or sling at least one of the girls most of the day though I can usually put them in our bed TOGETHER for their am and pm naps. I lay down with them or sit next to them till there asleep. They get some swing time in too, they don't seam to like their bouncy seat much. Our DD & DS also entertain them on our bed or floor for maybe 10 mn at a time. Since they're twins they're never alone and very rarely apart. I think for that reason they're easier than my singles were! I was nearly bed bound for they first two months. I'd hold one while the other layed next to us. When ever I did stuff I'd put them in a sling together. I got two smaller ones to "tandem" sling at about 2m. While in Hawaii we slung them almost all day. It was wonderful! I have to add I held/carried our DD & DS all the time. I never could find a sling/carrier that I liked or fit right. It was hard. But I felt it was my duty to make sure they where emotionally developed and felt secure. DD is now a very independent 6 yr old and DS still needs me but is also independent to the point of self destruction at times. So I think if we can hang in there it's so worth it!

Lilypie Baby Birthday

Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-12-2004 - 12:50am

When Alena was little I was either holding her or wearing her most of the day... she wouldn't nap anywhere but on me or in my arms.

^i^ 8/20/03

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 12:52pm
It's hard to remember, but I would say at that age, very little - maybe an hour total a day?, she would get put down after she fell asleep and occaisionally for Mommy to go to the bathroom or to play on the floor, but at 2 months she wasn't too interested in being down a lot.