Confessions of a ring sling moron

iVillage Member
Confessions of a ring sling moron
Fri, 12-10-2004 - 12:55pm

Its official. I'm a Maya Wrap ring sling moron. I just can't get the hang of the thing, and I'm giving up. You may remember in my previous post how I was having a hard time getting her in the reclining position. So I took one suggestion and tried sitting her with her legs in the sling, but bent at the waist so she was a little propped up. Which seemed fine except she kept sliding back down. It was just NOT working.

So I hadn't used the thing in a week or so, and had just used the padded sling in the house or when it was cool out (the reason I wanted the other sling was because the padded one seemed so hot). But lately Jadzia has been shunning her padded sling and she screams every time I try to put her in. I think she associates it with me putting her to sleep and lately she's been on this kick where she fights sleep all day long. I think she's afraid she's going to miss something if she sleeps or something. So yesterday I picked up the Maya Wrap again and tried to put her in it where she was facing me, with her legs hanging down. And, yea! She seemed so happy like that! It was great, she fell asleep and everything. Then I walked past a mirror and caught a look at her and one of her legs had turned purple!! The sling was cutting off her circulation! I took her out immediately (bummed that I had to interrupt a much needed nap!).

Anyway, so I picked up a Baby Bjorn, since she seemed to like that chest to chest, upright kind of thing, and she seems to be happy with it. I'm not happy with spending $40 on the Maya Wrap and then another (EGADS!) $90 on the Baby Bjorn, but I carry her so often I really need something that'll work. I just feel like a bit of a ring sling failure. :-(

Joy & Jadzia 10/14/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-10-2004 - 2:04pm
Joy, did you have the fabric pulled out so it was to your dd's knees?

ivsig

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-10-2004 - 3:23pm

Hi Joy,

I'm currently using a Bjorn too.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com 

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-10-2004 - 4:48pm

Wow, no, it was actually just under her butt, at the top of her thighs. She was kind of slumping to one side, which is why I think it was only turning one of her legs purple. (I couldn't get it tight enough to keep her from slumping no matter how hard I tried!) That's how the picture looked in the Maya Wrap instructions, I think. Those pictures they send you aren't really very good.

Joy & Jadzia

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-10-2004 - 4:50pm

Jadzia is snoozing in the Bjorn right now, too! She really seems to like being against my chest, and also being able to see what's going on around us, too. Hey, if it gives me my hands free...$90 is a small price to pay!

Joy & Jadzia

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-11-2004 - 11:34pm

Don't give up on the Maya wrap completly, try it again in a few weeks. Joshua went through an awkward stage with the wrap and when he got a little bigger it was easier.

Also, the Maya wrap video is helpful to see how she positions and uses the fabric.
(which you should have gotten with a new wrap-- if not maybe someone can loan you one, I'd offer mine but its goign to my best friend who is pg). You can download it from the website too http://www.mayawrap.com/n_video.php

My son is not even 20 lbs and the Bjorn is uncomfortable-- I think the max weight is 20 or so pounds, so don't expect to be able to use that much longer than 9 months, I guess more if your baby is smaller. My back starts screaming within a few minutes.

You already bought the Bjorn, but an Ergo or Sutemi are very similar styles but distribute the weight better and can be used far longer (for about the same price).

I have problems with the sling too, but the more I try the better I get. I try to do it in front of a mirror, but it did get easier when he was bigger. I can now get the fabric down to his knees and I have not managed to cut off circulation again- I had the same problem you did.

Good luck

Jessica

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-12-2004 - 8:24am

i think the other poster is right - keep the Maya for later.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 12:40pm

Thanks!!

I stuck the Maya Wrap in a drawer and I figure I'll give it a go again later when the Baby Bjorn becomes uncomfortable. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it when she gets bigger!! So far, the Baby Bjorn has been great. She has never even fussed in it once. And I was able to take it off and lay her down while she was sleeping and I didn't even wake her up.

I do have the Maya Wrap DVD...I watched it and I was still a spaz! :-P

Joy & Jadzia 10/14/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 12:43pm
I never got the hang of the reclining position or newborn carry