Strangers say the silliest things

iVillage Member
Strangers say the silliest things
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 11:30am

So I took DS out for a walk and breakfast yesterday morning -- in my sling -- and as I was walking to my car, this lovely old woman said, "Oh, look at that. He's sleeping." I smiled and told her he really enjoys the sling and that he likes to chew the rings because he's teething. She responsed: "When my kids used to fuss or cry, I would tie a cloth over an ice cube, dip it in Chivas whiskey, and give it to them to suck on."

WHAT? She thought it was funny! I need to remember not to talk to strangers! :)

Wendy
Mommy of Sahil (7/11/04)

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 12:48pm

Yeah, I think I remember my grandmother saying they used to suggest you rub whiskey on their gums to help with teething.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 1:59pm

Now dont jump on me here - I would never give my baby booze but, to defend the little old ladies and old men out there, and as always, trying to look on the bright side.....

I have a bunch of old retired chicago irish cops that work security in my building at work. They all recommended to me giving a little Jamesons on his gums - and they are not that old maybe early 60s!!!

1] Back then (in the 30's-40's-50's) little was known about effects of alchohol on anyone - pregnant ladies were known to openly imbibe, along with smoke!!! Im told you could even smoke in the labor rooms in the hospital. Even those that did know about any effects were kept in medical journals etc... there were no pregnancy magazines, parenthood magazines, internet or what not - it was word of mouth and if you mom did it, so did you!

2] there were NO cool things for kids to teeth with like we have now. No baby orajel or hylands tablets. no liquid filled filled toys to stick in the freezer.

3] The nice lady was being nice, she liked the hammock and didnt razz you about it. My really old lady down the street yells at me when she sees me carrying Chuckie in the hip hammock - "youll put your back out" "oooh doreen, he doesnt like it in there, he wants to be in the cart" This while he is smiling and screeching happily!!! She is such a morose old woman (who, it is said, is the widow of Sam Giancanas driver - he was a famous Chicago mobster) that it is actually sweet, and I really like her so she is forgiven.
Now the old bat next door to me -she is mean and evil and thinks I should train chuckie "Like a DOG" and that by not CIO'ing him that I dont love him (when I said you cant spoil with too much love, she said "thats not love"

4]it sounds like she was really trying to be nice, so thats gotta count for something. At least she didnt tell you to put a shot in his bottle!! I will take advice to get my baby all boozed up on irish whiskey from a nice smiling old lady over mean spirited nasty advice that Im spoiling my baby any day.

As you can see... I am jaded. Long ago I had such a nasty encounter with the mean old bat next door that now, even if you told me that "it is best that my baby is so homely - he will grow up smarter that way" with a nice smile and caring attitude I will thank you profusely for your wisdom and kind words.

doreen

Doreen

Tom’s Wife and Chuckies’ Mom

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-13-2004 - 2:10pm

I can understand!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-14-2004 - 11:58pm
LOL!

AP Board:  Owen born 6/6/02.  Ann Louise Gittleman for the woman in me, Martha and William Sears for the mom in me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-30-2004 - 11:57am

I generally only get the "oooh, aren't you afraid he'll fall out of there?" comment.

joy3.gif

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2004 - 9:48am

*******************edited to apologize**************************
I apologize for the following post. I have just realized that I basically told the exact same story in post # 3 on this same thread. Talk about a broken record. Gee Whiz. Maybe someone has been putting Jamesons Irish Whiskey on my gums.

Joy,
I have a little old woman down the block - your stereotypical old woman. She has a stoop, always wears a dress and a kercheif on her head. Her name is Rosie. She is italian and speaks in kind of a whiny voice when she talks.

oooo doreen, why are you carrying him in that thing - youll throw out your back.

ooo doreen why dont you put him in a cart and push him - he likes it.

oooo doreen

I love her - shes a kind old woman - and really very sweet - she doesnt mean it to mean I am a bad mom, or Im doing it wrong... she just says whats on her mind. But then of course - she forgets that we have the same discussion every week, sometimes every day!!

Ah, Rosie, You gotta love her...

doreen

Edited 12/31/2004 12:26 pm ET ET by abc_123_abc

Edited 12/31/2004 12:27 pm ET ET by abc_123_abc

Doreen

Tom’s Wife and Chuckies’ Mom