Sling for toddler

iVillage Member
Sling for toddler
Sun, 07-24-2005 - 7:58pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2005 - 10:43pm

What a cutie! :)

I use my mayawrap (www.mayawrap.com) with my toddler (about the same weight as your dd) when I need it. It is fairly easy to use. I put her on my hip like I am going to carry her, then cinch the sling "tight". DS has tried it a couple of times (about 30 lbs) and it is pretty comfy with him, too. Basically it is like carrying them on my hip, but without as much arm support needed.

A good place to go is www.thebabywearer.com. It has reviews of bunches of different slings, pouches, front packs, you name it! Some slings and pouches will have some extra padding at the legs, which if you are going to use it a lot and expect her legs to hang out might be a good thing.

Next time I have a baby I want to get a hotsling (www.hotslings.com). It is nice b/c it is one size so you don't have to adjust, just slip it on, which also means it has less material to deal with when you aren't using it.

HTH,
Kimberly with 34 m/o ds and 21 m/o nursling dd

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2005 - 10:04am

I agree with the pp about the reviews on thebabywearer.

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2005 - 5:30pm

I have a Kozy carrier and love it!

http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/Index.html

The wait list is about 3 months long though but I think it was well worth the wait!

I also have a few hotslings which are great for quick trips. Otherwise I think a two shouldered carrier is your best option.

Kristen

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2005 - 3:38pm

I have a Maya Wrap ring sling and a mesh pouch that I can carry my 30-pound 2-year-old in, but she gets a little heavy. They'd probably work fine for your slightly lighter kiddo, though. :-) I like using those slings on a regular basis, especially if I want to have the baby on my hip or pop her in and out more often.

I also just got a Mei Tai carrier that can be worn as a front carrier or like a backpack. It's not easy to get the child in and out, but it's good for longer periods of carrying. I carried my younger 18-pound DD in front for a long walk last week, and I carried my toddler on my back all over the house to test it out.

HTH!
Stephanie w/ Megan (6/6/03) and Annie (11/10/04)

P.S. Your little girl is beautiful! Love that curly hair!