A mei tai in the family!

iVillage Member
A mei tai in the family!
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 3:34am

I was back in the hometown last week and my grandma was just chatting and she mentioned mei tai and my ears perked up and i told her that it's become very popular and that pple in America are making it to sell and that i've been looking for one for a while.

She told me that when she had my mom (her firstborn), her mil (my great grandmother whom i do remember, she died when i was abt 8 or 9) had a mei tai made for her and she carried my mom a little bit and she's kept it in very good condition in her home and wld get it for me. So my next trip home i'm gonna get my grandma's mei tai which is as old as my mom - almost 60yo!! Fancy that! It's practically an heirloom. And i think grandma was really pleased that I wanted to use it for ds (her 4th great grandchild).

Btw, i shd mention that we are Chinese, my great grandparents and my grandparents were first generation immigrants to Malaysia fr China in the early part of the century.

EeLin

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 3:39am

Wow that is TOO cool.

Linda, Zoe Simone 5/9/03, Talia Rose 5/6/05

"...to do a barely good enough job as parents is the most we can h

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 10:17am
Wow!

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 10:48pm

Hi Linda and Cyndy

It's really cool huh? To have something that's been in the family so long! A vintage mei tai that my mom was carried in, wow! Gives going back to your roots a new meaning to me. And it's also wonderful to know that the way i'm parenting has some similarities to the way my g'ma parented.

I'm hoping that I'll get it in a mth or so. My g'ma was visiting my parents' place (cos she knew i was coming home) and her mei tai is at her home (abt 1 hr away). I'm hoping that she'll get it and pass it to my mom to bring it over to me next mth.

Hoping to have it soon. Will try to put up pics when we do get it!

EeLIn

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2005 - 3:25am
That's WAY cool!

Crystal, who ask