which baby carrier(s) is better?

iVillage Member
which baby carrier(s) is better?
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 8:36pm

I have about 5 different baby carriers; some are new and some are bought gently used;

2 of them are snugli type, front and back carry;
2 are dr sears and LLL sling with ring
1 is maya wrap

The problem is I am not good with any of them (with myself) I always need help, as ds is almost 7 months and weighs 19-20lbs. I am scared I will drop him. I can never use sungli type, my dh uses it well. I like sling, specially maya wrap but sometime ds is figeting (he likes freedom type baby) so support from his butts slips and sometimes he begins to slide down after 20 mins of wearing..what to do and how to get better? I like hip carry most rightnow as that is more convient for ds and me.

I thought of buying a better one but in goggle search, I narrowed it down to 25 brands and type,,,but it is so confusing. Please share your experience. Btw, some slings are like 150 dollars, which is out of my budget, 50 bucks is more reasonable...thanks for your help

Kashi

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 8:46pm
I like pouch type slings the best, there is one major commercial brand and lots of WAHM's make them, including me! Fit is really important with them, since they aren't adjustable, but once you have the fit right they are the most comfortable sling to use, IMO. They run $25-40 or so.

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 10:40pm

Check out the site www.thebabywearer.com for good ideas and reviews.

I was always more comfortable with my snugli, but when dd hit around 16 lbs it would kill my back to wear her for any length of time. I ended up buying a babytrekker and it was very comfortable and felt good on my back, but it is bulky and no where as nice looking as some of the other carriers I have seen. I think it was around $80. Now that dd is constantly on the go, I am back to using my mayawrap with her on the hip when I really need to hold her hands free. It is the easiest on/off in/out carrier and not bulky at all to carry around.

Kimberly with 34 m/o ds and 21 m/o nursling dd

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2005 - 10:44pm

I ditto Kimberly- definitely check out that link.

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2005 - 5:27pm

I have a basic unpadded solarveil ring sling (www.kangarookorner.com ) that I use for quick errands and an Ergo Baby carrier for long trips.

I had the Dr Sears Nojo and I liked the paddedness for comfort but it was difficult to adjust and very HOT. My sling had a plastic ring. All I do is pull the fabric out with my arm level with my shoulder and tighten. Make it as tight as bareable against the body. I think the Maya's have metal rings. Maybe they slip more?

Aimee, Mom to Marah-Jade

Retired from full time W&P after 22 months

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2005 - 11:47pm

Hi Kashi!

I had a Maya Wrap w/ my first DD and did really like it but the ring thing bugged me a lot--I was always having to readjust it.

Linda, Zoe Simone 5/9/03, Talia Rose 5/6/05

"...to do a barely good enough job as parents is the most we can h