What Kind of Sling for Newborn?

iVillage Member
What Kind of Sling for Newborn?
Thu, 08-18-2005 - 1:40pm

Looking at pictures of slings, I'm nervous about my newborn being able to breath in a sling. They just look like their little heads are pushed forward and/or pushed into the fabric of the sling. I don't know much about slings, so please give me some advice!!

I really don't like the ring slings because they look too difficult to adjust and master. I've been looking at either the hotsling or the new native baby carrier.

I used a baby bjorn with my first two when they were a little older. But this will be #3 and I want to have something to carry my newborn close and still be able to get stuff done around the house. I also want a way to transport baby that will be easier than carrying around the carseat!

TIA

Megan
DS (Diego 1/16/02)
DD (Sofia 2/15/03)
EDD 10/04/05

cyndi.gif

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2005 - 3:50pm

Hi, Megan--yeah, I know it looks like it would be hard for babies to breathe in the slings when they are tiny, but it really isn't a problem. Newborns huff and puff and breathe irregularly normally, and when they are right against you when they are doing it, it's even more obvious. However, they don't actually have difficulty breathing in the slings. I have boosted my babies up in the sling a bit when they are tiny, just hitched them up higher in the fold, or scootched the fabric around a bit so they get more air by their face to make myself feel better. I've heard that other people fold a little blanket under them so that they're not so "falling in" down into the fold, you know? I also seems like it might be less of an issue with the pouch-type slings, so perhaps you want to go with one of those. I have always used a ring sling, I love its versatility because it can be used very easily for a newborn up to a big toddler. It's very personal, though, so you probably just have to try a few to see what you like. Perhaps there's a natural parenting store of some kind where you live, so you could try some different ones? Good luck with this!

Annie

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2005 - 4:41pm
I like pouch slings the best for every age, I have used one for a newborn all the way to an over 4 year old. They are so versatile, easy to use, compact. My newborn never has trouble breathing. It is very important to get the correct size!

Sara

Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Coming Soon!

Edited 8/18/2005 4:47 pm ET ET by saram6778

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2005 - 7:29pm
I loved the pouch slings I got this time around.

Cathy

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2005 - 2:24pm
I am a ring slinger myself.

May2008siggy.jpg picture by chelbird

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2005 - 3:25pm

I used the pouch with my teeny one- he was 6 pounds 2 ounces when he came home. I still use the pouch and love it. I've used the ring sling and the mei tai but always come back to the pouch for its ease of use.

When he first came home I would fold up the the fabric so his face would be up a little at home but when we were out I kept him tucked in to discourage people from getting too close (RSV season). He was fine but I did check on him more when he was tucked in.

:) Maria

Actual age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Adjusted age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Maria Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2005 - 10:38am
I have only used a sling with a newborn 2 or 3 times while helping out a friend so I don't have tons of experience, but I do have a huge sling collection LOL I started slinging my dd when she was older and I have ring slings which I love, mei tais which is the only way we carry her anymore and a couple pouches which I am not really fond of. My plans for this little guy are to use the ring slings and mei tai for the most part. I am also debating buying or making a wrap in case he also has reflux issues like dd had. Living in FL I am somewhat concerned about the amount of fabric involved in a wrap, but I know there are a couple places like gypsymama.com that do wraps out of cotton gauze. I also have a snuggli that my mom got for us before dd was born, she was in that tons and I expect dh will use it some this time around also. Whichever ends up working best for us I will probably end up adding to my personal sling collection due to all the pretty material I work with for other people LOL

Kristina

ivsig

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2005 - 3:42pm
I use the infantino sling rider. I love it! Rebekkah falls right asleep in it. She loves it. Apparently, it is good for nursing, but I haven't tried it yet.
Colleen
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-17-2005 - 5:55pm

Loved my maya wrap. I didn't think the rings were that hard to deal with though. Yes, baby does kinda slide down in the sling, but I tested the sling by covering my mouth and nose with it and found that they are made of very breathable cotton. Of course, I'd catch myself putting my hand on baby's back to feel him breathe, but I did that when he was sleeping on the bed too. I think it had more to do with him being my first baby than anything else.

Jennifer