Front carrier for 1 month old?

iVillage Member
Front carrier for 1 month old?
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 10:12am

I've tried a Maya wrap and pouch with my son, but he dislikes the "newborn hold". He only seems to like the front carry hold, so I've been using my Snugli, but I'd like a softer fabric carrier that has the same hold. I tried a Mei Tai carrier from Ellaroo, but it just doesn't provide enough support him. (10 and 1/2 lbs at birth.)

Should I just use the Snugli till he's bigger, or can someone suggest another carrier to try?

Thank you!`

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 12:07pm

Hi,

I'm not sure what the snugli is like, but my ds loved the bjorn. we spent so much money on several slings and the newborn pillows etc, but he just didn't like them. so we got the bjorn and he was in heaven. we always carried him facing in, and he was the happiest camper in it from newbornhood until he maxed it out in length at 7 months.
I hope you find what works for you, and if the snuggli seems to work, that is great!

ps
the bjorn is of a stiffer fabric (which is what offers the great support i think) so when ds was a newborn we would line it with a soft cloth or small blanket to make cozier for him.
HTH!

elaine
ben 11/5/04

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 12:43pm

I loved my pouch, which I know you've already tried. Have you used the kangaroo facing out position? My ds loved that one.

Otherwise, I've heard really good things about the Ergo. Its similar (and not) to a Snuggli and will last to, I believe, 35 pounds.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

:) Maria

Actual age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Adjusted age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Maria Image hosted by Photobucket.com