Too big/old for carrier? Please advise

iVillage Member
Too big/old for carrier? Please advise
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 12:00pm

Hi Ladies,

I am thinking of getting the Ergo carrier andhave a few questions. My ds is 9.5 months old and 21 lbs. He loved being in his baby bjorn and i carried him around in it everywhere until he maxed it out in length. I pretty much carry him on my hip now and my arms get so tired. He is quite independent now that he can crawl, and enjoys being out and playing on the floor at home. When I go grocery shopping he loves sitting high up in the cart with his soft cart cover and toys to play with. He hates the stroller but does like the jogger when we go on nature walks. Anyway, I have found that I carry him when I do menial stuff around the house, as he is very curious and loves to watch what I am doing. I wonder if this is enough reason to get the Ergo.
So my questions are

Do you use your ergo (or other carrier) with your dc 9 months or older?

Will this inhibit my ds from wanting to play on his own?

Weight wise will his 21 lbs be too heavy to carry?

How often do you put your dc in the carrier and for what activities?

thanks so much in advance for anyone who has time to read and answer this!!

elaine
ben 11/5/04

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 12:52pm

My ds is same age and I still use our pouch a lot. He moves around too much in the cart so I can't put him in it at the stores. He goes in the pouch while shopping mostly. Also if he's being particularly difficult I'll put him in the pouch or ring sling and go for a walk.

But truthfully at home he mostly plays on the floor or is carried around. I found that now since he's so grabby I really can't do anything with him the sling. I've been looking at the Ergos b/c you can put him on your back instead. I've tried that with the ring sling but he's really too wiggly.

I'm not sure I've been at all helpful. If you're just wanting to use it at home I'd consider the less expensive Hip Hammock or making a wrap style sling (piece of fabric) to tie him onto your hip.

Have fun shopping!

:) Maria

Actual age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Adjusted age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Maria Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 1:38pm

I didn't even own a sling until my older DD was about 14-15 months old and 20 pounds. I got the Maya Wrap ring sling with the intent of using it with the new baby, but ended up using it quite a bit with her. I used it around the house, esp. when I was doing dishes, making dinner, or vacuuming. We also used it for trips to the mall a couple times b/c she wanted to walk some but was too little to walk the whole time. It was nice b/c I could just scoop her into the sling whenever she got tired or I wanted to move a little faster. I don't know about the Ergo, but the Maya Wrap has a velcro pocket, so I didn't even carry a purse or diaper bag. I just stuck one diaper, a ziploc baggie of wipes, my wallet, and my keys in there.

I now use my ring sling, my mesh pouch sling, and my Mei Tai carrier with my 9-month-old, and they're all great. The pouch sling is good for quickly popping her in and out around the house, at the library, on other short errands, etc. I love the Mei Tai for longer excursions (wore it for a couple hours at a petting zoo) and getting lots of stuff done around the house but keeping her more out of the way. She happily rode on my back for 30-45 minutes yesterday while I washed dishes, vacuumed the floor, put laundry in the washer, etc., and she let me know when she wanted back down.

Also, if you're planning on having another baby, it'll definitely be worth it!
Hope that helps!
Stephanie w/ Megan (6/6/03) and Annie (11/10/04)

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 2:23pm

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 and Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 5:20pm

thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, it helped me a lot ;o)

elaine

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 7:02pm

I used my ergo almost daily until DD was 16 months. We just used it two weekends ago because we went for a 2 mile hike. I also used it in April when we went to a convention. Basically I wear it anywhere we will be walking a lot.

Will this inhibit my ds from wanting to play on his own?

Nope

Weight wise will his 21 lbs be too heavy to carry?

He will want you to carry him no matter how much he weighs. DD is 28 lbs and DH carried her in her ergo

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)