Can you wear a toddler and a baby too?

iVillage Member
Can you wear a toddler and a baby too?
Wed, 08-24-2005 - 1:15pm

James just loves to be carried on my hip in the sling--he will happily ride along for an entire grocery shop that way. Now that I'm expecting #2, I'm wondering whether I'll still be able to carry him or if I should start getting him used to riding in the cart, walking some of the way, etc. I can't quite imagine how I would carry two and still have any mobility left for picking things off shelves... Or should I just plan on never going shopping with both kids at once?

What have others done with a toddler and a baby? Also, did you have to stop wearing your older child at some point in your pregnancy anyway, when you just didn't have a hip anymore to balance them on?

Trying to plan ahead. Any tips or experiences would be great. Thanks!

- Naomi
Mama to James (2.15.04) and belly bean (3.23.06)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2005 - 12:23pm
I put ds into a backpack carrier when I was pregnant with dd and couldnt comfortably carry him in front anymore he was about 20mos at that point. When we go out I will take the back pack and my sling and can carry both if I need to but it does limit my mobility like you thought it would. Now that dd is 6 mos old I have done two hip carriers which works pretty well if I only need to do a quick errand or we are walking a short way. Ds does walk alot more now at 2 1/2 and will ride in the carts at the grocery store (esp if they are the car carts) so it is easier. He likes the independence and it allows me to actually shop a little. One thing I find helpful is to make sure I do things early in the day before ds gets tired so he is willing to treat outings like an adventure rather than a chore and will not ask to be carried as often.. Hope these ideas help good luck
sue
ps one other thing I started doing a few months before dd was born was teaching ds how to do a few things on his own like get a juice box or sippy of water or granola bar from a low shelf in the kitchen I also taught him to sing twinkle twinkle little star and then would tell him he had to sing three times before I could help him or 1 time or however long it would take me to get to him so he learned to wait a minute so when sister got here he knows sometimes he has to wait and he will ask how many times to sing. its really cute.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-26-2005 - 9:56am

Thanks for the insights, Sue! That helps a lot. Love the twinkle, twinkle little star idea too.

- Naomi
Mama to James (2.15.04) and belly bean (3.23.06)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-26-2005 - 2:11pm

One of my friends gave me the idea of the singing another friend had her dd do the sign language alphabet ( were working on that one) Since the little ones dont understand wait a minute this gives them a concrete way of marking the time and keeps them occupied while you finish nursing baby changing a diaper or getting baby dressed or something. Its a good short term way to keep them from whining and feeling like they always have to wait for the baby. This way they are singing for the baby or signing for the baby or whatever you choose.
good luck with the baby/toddler wearing You will have some amazing arm muscles from it all the people I meet these days ask where I work out and I tell them I just carry my kids. its great.

sue

momma to

conall 02-20-03 and killean 02-27-05