Toddler/Travel: What kind of carrier?

iVillage Member
Toddler/Travel: What kind of carrier?
Fri, 08-26-2005 - 9:57pm

Hi. This is my first post on the Attachment Parenting board. We're waiting for a call to adopt a little girl in Russia. She's about 16 months old. I'm not sure of her weight now, but she was 25 lbs at one year old.

I want to take something to carry her in, both to promote bonding and attachment and to make it easier to travel with her. The city streets of Moscow have underground "crosswalks" (lots of stairs), so a stroller wouldn't work well, and we'll have lots of airport walking to do. And to help support her weight... I haven't built up the stamina yet and she isn't used to being carried, so she doesn't "hold on". It's like carrying dead weight.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on a carrier that is:
-- easy to use (easy on/off, can put on and put the baby in by myself. DH will be coming home early to be with our DS, so I'll be alone for part of the trip)
-- easy to pack (packing space is at a premium).
-- works for a child who's 25-30 pounds.
-- isn't too expensive. (I've seen rave reviews below about the Ergo carrier, but I don't think I can afford $90)
-- it might be cold there, so it would be great if I could fit the child in while each of us were wearing a coat.

My sister offered me her sling (I think it's a Maya Wrap, but I'm not sure. It's a long piece of fabric and a metal buckle.) She's never used it because she thought it was too complex, but she said the videotape that came with it showed that you could transform it into a hip-carrier. I'm a little worried about taking the sling if it's complicated or hard to use (I think someone posted below that the baby kind of has to hold on -- and I know she won't at first). But-- the price is right!

I also own a Baby Bjorn that we bought when we adopted our son, but at 18 lbs and 1 year old he was too tall for it (I couldn't see around him, even on the lowest setting) and he didn't fit at all with his snowsuit on. Besides, my sister is currently using it with her 4 month old and I think I'd have to knock her out and pry it from her fingers before I could get it back. LOL! That Baby Bjorn has been well loved by four babies -- just not mine!

I have heard good things about the Hip Hammock, too. I'm thinking about getting one of those, but I hate to spend the money if the sling will work just as well.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Kim
mom to Alex, born 9/28/00, adopted 10/16/01 in Krasnoyarsk Russia. Waiting for our court date to adopt our sweet daughter-to-be, almost 16 months old, in Moscow Region, Russia

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-26-2005 - 10:37pm

I think the sling would be your best bet, esp budget wise. Now, I could be wrong but I think you can try it with your son and get used to it. I believe its got a pretty good weight limit on it. The nice thing about a sling is that she won't be able to push off/away as much as she would with the hip hammock.

Good luck and Congrats!

:) Maria

Actual age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Adjusted age
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Maria Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2005 - 9:33am

I think I would also go with the sling especially since you would not have to buy anything just now and they fold up very compactly for travelling. I personally prefer using a mei tai with older children, but that is 2-3 years and 35 lbs and up. I used a sling with my dd until she was around 3 years and 40 lbs so it should work well in your situation. I do have some instructions that I did when my dd was around 2.5 years that are not currently online. If you think they would help I could send you the file though. I have never had any problems with using a sling from the first time I put it on, but I know some people look at the length of material and find it very intimidating. There are a lot of women here that can help you figure things out with your sling before you need to leave so that should help. Hopefully you hear soon when your court date is.

Kristina

ivsig

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-28-2005 - 3:50pm

Yep- I was going to say Ergo.

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-28-2005 - 7:25pm

Thanks, Maria -- I appreciate your advice. I think my sister is going to send the MayaWrap and I'll try it with DS (who still loves to be carried. I just do it the "old fashioned way.")

Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-28-2005 - 7:27pm

Thanks for your advice. My sister is going to send the mayawrap so I can (hopefully) try it with DS. My sister said the MayaWrap came with a DVD, but I would love to have your additional instructions. Would you mind e-mailing me at design_mom(at)yahoo(dot)com?

Thanks so much,
Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-28-2005 - 7:32pm

Thanks for the advice. My sister's going to send the MayaWrap (it is a mayawrap, I asked). So I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link to the online instructions. I'll check there too. (My sister is also going to send the instructional dvd).

That Ergo carrier does look really cool though. I carried DS a ton when we brought him home. It would have been nice, but being an uninformed first time mom, I thought once they grew out of the baby bjorn/snugglie that was it unless you wanted the big hiking backpack. If only I'd known about the options. If this baby likes to be carried, perhaps I'll ask for an ergo for christmas or something! :)

Thanks,
Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2005 - 1:44pm

I know you don't want to spend the money but the Ergo pays for itself. I used mine on Saturday and DD slept in it for an hour and a half. You could buy it and if you don't use it you can sell it on Ebay and get your money back.

Aimee, Mom to Marah-Jade

Retired from full time W&P after 22 months

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2005 - 6:03pm

Thanks Aimee. It is tempting. Is there anyplace you can buy one, or are they only available from the web site. I wish I could "test drive one" (even with a borrowed child) -- wink. :)

Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2005 - 6:23pm

I personally don't know of a store front that sells them. I just called Ergo and they can tell you of stores in your area that carry them 1-888-416-4888.

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2005 - 12:56pm
As I type this my ds3.5 is seating near me. He was adopted from the Moscow region 3 years ago this month. He was10 months old. We used the snuggle.I have a ring sling for ds15 who is 22lbs Ihip carry and Carry him in front with his legs around me.The slings are easy to use.
Best wishes on your adoption.
Susan mom to Jonathan b11/14/01 adopted 9/24/02
Joshua b 5/22/04

Pages