Sling/Pouch/Carrier recommendations

iVillage Member
Sling/Pouch/Carrier recommendations
Wed, 09-21-2005 - 2:31pm

Hello all,

I am a first time mom from the April 2005 board. I am interested in buying something to carry my baby in for long walks, international trips, shopping, nursing in public, etc.
I bought a Baby Bjorn original carrier, which I am not sure I want to keep because it seems to make my shoulders/back sore. I was thinking about purchasing the Baby Bjorn Active carrier but I am not sure it is worth the money and will really be that comfortable.
I have started to look at other options, Maya Wrap Pouch, Hotslings, Kangaroo Pouch, and now I am getting overwhelmed at the choices out there.
What do you recommend?
I would like something without a ring, that distributes weight evenly, will free up my hands, allow me to nurse in public, that can be used in at least two positions, can be used for long periods of time and as baby grows, and most importantly supports a heavy baby (~17 pounds at 5 months)
TIA for your suggestions,
Purity & DS #1 Bilal (almost 5 months old)

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2005 - 3:36pm

Hi Purity,

My first sling and the one that I have used the most was a hotsling (pouch). I have a fleece one and one with regular fabric. The fleece is great for the winter, but I found it to be stretchier than the regular fabric, which made it more difficult once Noah was more mobile

ANNIE
Attached to trilingual co-sleeping nursling Noah

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2005 - 11:25am

I LOVE my Ergo- I got it from www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com and it is FABULOUS.

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2005 - 2:34pm

hi i will def have to show my love towards my mei tei.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2005 - 10:18am

Well, I have 3 slings that I use at different times. I've never been able to nurse in a sling since my DD was such a spit-uppy baby -- she'd throw up all over the sling if I nursed her in it - ugh! Anyway, I won't be much help there, but I'll tell you about my slings.

My mesh pouch from Mama Kangaroo is the one I use most often. It's great for just popping the baby in and out, and it's a breathable, stretchy fabric -- comfy and cool for summer. I use it when I run errands and just around the house when DD wants to be held. I've also used it on walks or longer trips so that DD is at eye level, and we can "talk" while we walk. I wore her off and on for 3 days at an amusement park, she fell asleep several times, and we were both very comfortable. It only goes over one shoulder, but I've never felt like she was weighing down that side of my body, and she's now 10 months old and 20 pounds.

I also love my Mei Tai carrier. I generally use it to carry DD on my back for long walks or when she's fussy and I'm trying to make dinner or get some housework done. She'll ride happily on my back for quite a while although I think she sometimes gets frustrated that she can't see what I'm doing. She's only fallen asleep in the Mei Tai once, but she's come close many times. I like this carrier b/c it's just like wearing a backpack (or frontpack carrier), but the baby is closer to you.

I do have a Maya Wrap ring sling, which I like a lot, too, but it hasn't gotten much use since I got the mesh pouch. I may bring it back out some more this fall.

HTH a bit!
Stephanie w/ Megan (6/6/03) and Annie (11/10/04)

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-26-2005 - 10:18am

Thank you for all your input. I appreciate the personal advice and pics too. I ordered a New Generation Ergo backpack and I'm real excited to get it and try it out. I'll let you know what I think.

Purity and DS #1 Bilal