Ergo Hip Carry -- Comfortable?

iVillage Member
Ergo Hip Carry -- Comfortable?
Fri, 09-30-2005 - 10:03pm

Hi Everyone,

I posted a month or so ago about a carry for our Russian Adoption (http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppattachment&msg=18640.1&ctx=4096). Since my sister was willing to loan me her Maya Wrap, that's what I ended up taking and our daughter loves it. She is happy to be carried in the hip position for hours on end -- however, at almost 24 pounds, my back is not quite so happy about it!

I've read such great things about the Ergo on this board (although the pricetag makes me cringe), that I'm seriously thinking about asking DH for an early christmas gift. However, I'm guessing she's probably too big for the front-carry position. And I'd prefer to still be able to look at her (not wear her on my back right away). I read that the New Generation Ergo offers a hip carry position. However, in the photo and instructional drawings on Ergo's web site, it looks like the shoulder strap in the hip-carry position rides really high on the wearer's neck (versus farther out on the shoulder). I ended up taking back a Playtex Hip Hammock because the strap was really high on my neck and was really uncomfortable for me.

Has anybody actually tried the hip carry with the new Ergo carrier. What do you think? Is the strap up on your neck. or does it just look that way in the pics?

Thanks,
Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2005 - 1:06am
No advice on the hip carry (I suggested an Ergo on your previous thread, but I have the older one that doesn't do that), but I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on bringing your daughter home!

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 Charlie 7/19/04

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2005 - 1:00pm
I have the older one with no hip carry so I can't help you there. But I was also scared of the price but they do have a fabulous return policy which is why I tried it. My daughter is 24lbs and 19 months (very high need) and I have never used it on my back. I still carry her on my front and for hours at a time with no problem. And this child HATED all other carriers - except for baby bjorn facing out or sling pouch on the hip - both not comfortable for me. It is the best money I ever spent. Living in Manhattan it gave me freedom to go anywhere comfortably with her. Congrats on your adoption!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 9:17am

The hip carry at least for me is pretty comfy. my son is 39 inches tall and 30lbs and loves to be carried. The weight of the child rests on your hip so the stap is there mostly just to keep your child from flopping over. The straps are really well padded Unlike the hip hammock. I had the same problem with it the strap was cutting my neck. The ergo is really comfy though since the straps are so wide. YOu can bring the strap a little further out on your shoulder as well by lengthoning the other side strap when you wrap it around but you will have to keep one arm around your daughter a little more since if you lean she may wobble a bit till you all get used to it.

good luck

sue

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:42pm

Thanks so much. She seems to be settling in very well. We've been home for a week now. She seems a lot more comfortable if she's right with me all the time (and who can blame her -- her whole life has been turned upside down) so I'm trying to hold her as much as possible. Hence the need for a carrier. (BTW, I ordered my Ergo today. Thanks for all the advice. I hope I like it.)

I just noticed your children's names, too. I have a neighbor named Talitha. I've never met anyone else with that name -- and Talitha's son is named Charlie. Strange coincidence, eh?

Thanks for the advice!
Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:45pm
Thanks for the congratulations and the Ergo testamonial! I ordered mine today. It's nice that it has so many options. Hopefully I'll find a way that suits us both. I saw another thread on this board that mentioned a site that gives a 3-month money-back guarantee, so I figured that was about as low risk as you can get. I can't wait till it arrives.

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 9:13pm

Thanks, Sue for the information about the hip carry position. I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try so I ordered mine today. Hopefully one of the three methods will suit us both. :)

THanks,
Kim

Photobucket
Kim, mom to Lus
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 12:14pm
With adoption it is even more important to find a good carrier since you haven't had the build up time - just all of a sudden have and extra 25 lbs or so! Good luck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 5:02pm

I love my ERGO for the back carry. I HATE the ergo for the hip carry. The way the straps have to wrap around it just plain uncomfortable.

We purchased a EllaRoo Mei Hip which ONLY does the hip carry and is GREAT.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 1:09am

I just noticed your children's names, too. I have a neighbor named Talitha. I've never met anyone else with that name -- and Talitha's son is named Charlie. Strange coincidence, eh?

That is TOOOO funny!

Cyndy

Talitha 5/7/91 Charlie 7/19/04