need a hip pouch

iVillage Member
need a hip pouch
Tue, 10-18-2005 - 9:05pm

Hello All,

I bought a Baby Trekker with my baby when she was around 2 months old and it had to be the best thing I ever purchased for any of my kids. I never had any back problems after that. For the last month or two I haven't really been using it as much as she is doing a lot more exploring down on the ground. She has hit some separation anxiety and I find that I am constantly holding her on my hip these days. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hip sling/pouch that is comfy and leaves my hands more free? The front back just doesn't work as well anymore.

Thanks!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: mstar
Thu, 10-20-2005 - 3:15pm
I really like my Maya Pouch :) DD is about 25 lbs now and I still wear her in it to run errands etc. I cant wear it for long periods anymore because it pulls on my shoulder after awhile, but when she was lighter I would keep her in it comfortably for quite a long time. I chose the Maya Pouch in particular because it is adjustable so either my husband or I can wear it. Also, the material doesnt stretch out, so she stays secure in it.
The only problem I have with it is that the material isnt padded in any way, so I feel like it digs into her legs a bit. But honestly, she doesnt seem to notice, and if I felt like it I suppose I could just sew a bit of padding onto it :)
HTH...
Leah

Leah

Married to Tony and Mommy to Annabella and Anthony

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2005 - 3:42pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might have that, I have a maya sling, is it the same thing? I never did figure out the sling very well mabye I should re-visit it.

I saw a mom in the store the other day and actually had her hands free and her older baby was in some sort of hip pouch thing that seemed to completely support her. I should have gone up and asked her what it was but of course I didn't!

My sister used the maya sling for a long time, I should probably ask her to give me a tutorial on how to use it with an older baby.

Thanks again!

Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2005 - 4:45pm
Maya makes 2 different slings: An adjustable unpadded ring sling and an "adjustable" pouch sling. It has zippers to make it smaller. They also used to make a non adjustable pouch sling, but switched over the zippered one a year or two ago.

Sara

Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Now open!

Baby Slings and Fuzzi Bunz Diapers

Buy 2 slings get 1 Free!

Free Shipping!

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2005 - 1:50am

I love my Mama Kangaroo mesh pouch. (www.mamakangaroo.com or check eBay -- that's where I got a new one more cheaply than on their web site) I got it at the beginning of the summer and started using it with my then 7-month-old. We're still using it almost every day, and she's almost a year. I think it's very comfortable, holds her snugly or loosely on my hip (depending on how I adjust the edges), doesn't hurt my back or shoulders, and keeps my hands free. I love that I can pop her in and out quickly, too, while we're running errands. It's very lightweight, so it was great for summer, and it dried quickly if it got wet. I'm thinking about getting a new stretchy pouch from Mama Kangaroo for the fall/winter so it looks a little "dressier."

If I know that she'll want to be carried for a while (on walks, while I'm making dinner, etc.), I put her on my back in the Mei Tai wrap, and she loves it. Sometimes she'll even catnap in it in the evenings.

HTH!
Stephanie w/ Megan (6/6/03) and Annie (11/10/04)

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2005 - 4:06pm

I just got a Hotsling a week ago, and I really like it. It's actually a pouch, not a sling, and I love how easy it is to use. You just buy your size (there's a size calculator on their website: http://www.hotslings.com) and pop your baby in -- no straps, rings, zippers or anything. This is perfect for us because Sam gets VERY impatient if I take too long getting us ready to go out.

Sam weighs about 21 lbs, and I've found the Hotsling to be pretty comfortable. (I mean, I wouldn't go on a long hike with it, but it's fine for regular walks and doing errands.) What's great about the Hotsling, too, is that it comes in fleece material for winter. I got the chocolate brown fleece one, and it's super-cosy.

Tammy