Dr. Sears' Sling?

iVillage Member
Dr. Sears' Sling?
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 11:08am

Has anyone used the sling Dr Sears peddles on their website? It seems to be a typical sort of padded sling.

With #1 I used a snugli for babywearing but I'm planning on a 'real' sling this time around. It's so tough trying to choose one though *sigh*. I don't think I want one of the mega-wrap types like the Purple Penguin or the mei tai, just a simple d-ring kind of thing I guess, that can be slipped on fairly quickly.

So... just wondering what people think of Dr Sears'. Or do they prefer something less 'constructed'.

heather d
edd #2 12/25

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 11:25am
The sling that is on the Dr. Sears site is really padded and hard to adjust because of it. You can find lightly padded slings. I think Ellaroo has a lightly padded one. Or you can go with an unpadded ring sling. The best well known unpadded ring sling is the Maya wrap. You can get those in a huge variety of colors and fabrics with all sorts of prices. For basic slings at great prices I suggest www.sleepingbaby.net much pricer silk slings can be found by searching online. I'd suggest looking at the reviews at www.thebabywearer.com you have to register for free to read them, but it is well worth it IMO.

ivsig

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 11:56am

Thanks for that link. I'd like to find something in Canada, if possible, to save all those shipping costs. But it's nice they have all those sizes... my sister-in-law, also expecting, is a larger-sized woman and is having trouble finding a sling she thinks would fit her properly.

Now here's another type... http://www.myflowerchild.com/newnativebabycarrier.asp

It's a 'hammock-style', no rings or anything. It seems simple and comfortable, though I would guess it's less adaptable to different holds? Anyone have any experience with this sort of sling? I like that they have it in organic cotton, and it's local for us heh...

heather d

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 6:58pm

At the babywearer site they have lists of companies by country so you could search which ones are in Canada and only look at their sites to keep shipping down. I know there are some out there, but I haven't looked in over a year so I don't know how many.

I am personally not a fan of pouch slings. If it doesn't adjust I don't like it. There are people that really like pouches and can't stand ring slings. It is all personal preference really. If you could find a local LLL or API type group you might be able to get a better idea what you would like. Also do a google for NINO and see if they have a group near you. If you get really lucky there might be a store near you that carries slings and pouches that you could try on and buy there.

ivsig

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-20-2006 - 2:10pm

I like my Nojo sling (that's the one Dr. Sears endorses, I believe). I think it has a learning curve though, because I did have some trouble with it when dd was really little. I'm going to give it another go for our new little one, though because I do love it for dd now that she's older. The only kind of crummy thing about it, it seems, is that it doesn't adjust small enough if you're thin and petite...we found that out when my sil, who is very thin and small, was trying it on. The padding seems too bulky. If there's a way you can try one out before you buy, I'd do that. Sometimes LLL leaders will have slings you can try.

Good luck!!

Sheri
Reese (12-22-04)
new little turtle EDD 7/06

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-21-2006 - 1:17pm

Are you referring to the Nojo? I had that as my first sling. One issue is it is hard to adjust so that it fits properly. I prefer the padded version for comfort but the adjustability won hands down since I couldn't carry DD in it if it was killing my back. Also they are hot in the summer. In general they are a good back up sling but not an every day sling.

I bought a solarveil ring sling from www.kangarookorner.com and I love it.

PS the shipping is worth getting a good quality sling. Your back will thank you.

Aimee & Marah Jade

Aimee Mom to Marah Jade (5) and Quinlan (22 months)