Sleeping in a sling - Older babies

iVillage Member
Sleeping in a sling - Older babies
Fri, 08-18-2006 - 11:31pm

Hi-

I'm mostly a lurker here (for about 4 years!), but I'd like to start posting more. So I am starting with a question. My baby was born in January, and until mid-July she slept in the sling pretty much all the time, except at night when she sleeps with us.

Then I had surgery, so I wasn't using the sling while I was healing and have been just nursing her to sleep in the bed. That is no problem. I am just wondering if it is possible for larger babies to sleep in a pouch sling (a Hotsling), because she is really too big for the cradle carry now. Now that I am starting to use it again, I really only do the hip carry but I can't imagine her falling asleep that way. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable with it.

So, anyone have experience with a bigger baby sleeping in a pouch sling? It doesn't really matter if she sleeps in it or not, because she sleeps well in the stroller if I'm out, but it would be handy if she did.

Thanks!
Kelly and Aspen (1/12/06) and big sister Avalon (12/19/02)

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-19-2006 - 1:11am
YES, an older baby can definately sleep in a pouch. I have an 18 month old and she sleeps nearly every nap time that she is in the sling, basically whenever we go somewhere in the afternoon she falls asleep in it. We use the hip carry or tummy to tummy. She has also fallen asleep on my back. She has to be walked or nursed to sleep in the sling, she generally won't sit in a sling awake if I am sitting down anymore.
I have lots of pics of her sleeping on my website, here are some good ones:

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-19-2006 - 1:01pm

Sara, thanks for your response and for the pictures, they are so, so cute. I am happy to hear that she'll be able to sleep in the sling for a long time, your baby definetly looks comfy in it. I guess I just need to practice with it some more. I'm sure I'll be referring to your website a lot to make sure I'm doing it right, I love all the pictures and your instructions are really great. (Also, your slings are really beautiful!)

Thanks again!
Kelly, Aspen and Avalon

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-23-2006 - 9:53pm
Rebekkah is 1 yr old and weighs 25lbs. She's a BIG baby. She sleeps in her sling ALL THE TIME! I carry her sitting upright facing me. She rests her head on my chest and sleeps right through anything. That's the only way I can grocery shop! I use a slingling which is like a hotsling.
Colleen
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-23-2006 - 10:48pm

Colleen, thanks for the reply! I will definetly have to try that position, I think she will enjoy it.

Kelly