What can't you do while slinging?

iVillage Member
What can't you do while slinging?
Fri, 09-08-2006 - 7:46pm

My baby loves/needs to be held. So far she hasn't really enjoyed being worn in a soft wrap or her bjorn but I'm hoping that since a sling is a little more age/size appropriate for her, we will get the hang of it and she will like being worn in a sling.

Right now I have to put her down in a swing or bouncy seat and if she lets me get away with that for more than a minute, I rush around trying to do the most basic tasks of cleaning dishes, throwing in a load of laundry, and I hardly ever get to finish a task because she gets lonely or bored or wet or something (!) that makes her start crying again.

I'm thinking about switching to cloth diapers... but can you do laundry when wearing your baby? I've tried holding her with one arm while trying to fish the wet clothes out of the washer and it's a nearly impossible task requiring some bizarre contortions on my part to keep from smooshing her and reaching the bottom...

What tasks can't be done easily/safely while slinging? What do you do with your baby when you need to do something and you can't wear her?

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-09-2006 - 12:07am

I do laundry with him in the sling all the time and I have tried without him in the sling and it is nearly impossible.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-09-2006 - 1:54pm

I'm not sure if you were asking what was SAFE to do in a carrier, or simply what is "possible'. Almost anything is possible in a well fitting carrier. It is important that the baby be held tight and high to your body, to avoid back pain and fatigue. You will feel more "hands free" if the baby is held snug to you. Use common sense and don't use anything sharp or hot that could injure the baby. Don't use power tools or appliances that could get tangled up in the tail of a ring sling or wrap. Don't do any running, or contact sports ;) An interesting tidbit is the most common injury while using a baby carrier is the parent actually tripping and falling on the baby.

a thin stretchy wrap is great for newborns when you really need to work and have the baby snug and secure. I used a thin piece of jersey for a wrap when my DD was a newborn to weed the garden (she was born in March and I love gardening, I was worried I wouldn't get to garden last year :) DS and I had a great time outside together, and DD slept away on my back) www.wearyourbaby.com has lots of great instructions for wraps. the 'moby wrap' is also good for the first months. It is a long piece of heavy jersey with serged edges. The edges don't need to be serged if the fabric doesn't fray. If you have a walmart, they often have lots of $1 fabrics that may work for a wrap. They shouldn't be too stretchy lengthwise, but widthwise stretch is fine.

You can do almost anything with your baby in a sling or carrier. Laundry, cooking ( nothing involving heat or sharp objects), vacuuming is one of my favorite things to do, gardening (no power tools or sharp objects). When my DD was a newborn, it was easier to get things done without putting her down, because then she would just sleep through it. If I put her down, I'd have a couple seconds to do something, then I'd have to pick her up to calm her down. It is worth the effort involved to learn how to wear your baby. There are still times (at 18 months old) when my DD needs me, I need to do something else, I put the sling on and she runs to me smiling with her arms up. The baby does need to learn that the sling is comforting and something to love--I don't know how to say it, some babies just need time to adjust if they don't love it right away. It takes times, and simply being put into a carrier by an inexperienced user is enough to upset some sensitive babies. So the parent assumes the baby "hates it". I can't tell you how many times a parent comes here to buy a sling, upsets their baby trying to use it, I try to put the baby in myself and the baby calms right down. Babies can sense tension and if they feel like you aren't confident in your baby wearing skills, they will know it.

Many babies also need movement at first--you can't put the baby in the sling and then sit down or stand still.

If you know how to use the sling well, the baby can be slid around to your side or back as needed so your arms are more mobile and the baby isn't between you and whatever you are working on.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-18-2006 - 3:11am

i am not completely multi-talented like some

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-18-2006 - 8:24pm
Well so far I haven't been able to get too much stuff done. Folding laundry is hard because it feels like I don't have a long enough reach. Plus she really likes me to either be moving or nursing her. I'm sure we'll get better with practice.