Hints for using a ring sling on my back?

iVillage Member
Hints for using a ring sling on my back?
Fri, 09-29-2006 - 12:27am

The ring sling I have was made for me by an AP mom from here. It is extra long (I am plus sized), I just tuck the extra "tail" in, or use it like a blanket over Imani. I find certain household tasks, such as laundry (our washer and dryer are not side by side, so I have a small space to squeeze into to get the clothes out of the washer) and dishes hard to do while wearing her in the cuddle hold (her favorite), I tried moving her to my hip, but she is only 4 months old and still a little wobbly for that. I would like to use my sling to put her on my back, but can't quite get it right.
In Kenya, women just tie a big piece of material on and it works great, but I am out of practice with that and find the knot in the chest uncomfortable.
Any one have hints or perhaps a link with pictures?

Michelle

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-29-2006 - 12:25pm
Hi there!! Jan Andrea has some great instructions on backwearing an infant in a sling here: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/wearing/back.php?PHPSESSID=eb62c7fdc24bc2602cdda1ccbdda874e At four months old, I started wearing my baby on my back in mei tais and in wraps. There are ways to tie the wrap where there are NO knots on the chest. Instead of tying it up on the chest, you can tie it at your waist. It's not pretty for us fluffier moms ;) LOL but does feel nice and secure. Mamatoto.org has some awesome directions for using a wrap or just a cloth for backcarrying. Let me know if this helps or if you'd like to see my pics of my back carrying ;)

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-30-2006 - 1:32am
Thanks!:) I like the term "fluffy"- I always say " I am in shape. Round is a shape!"LOL
I would love to see your photos...
I have a friend who uses a mei tai, I already have an Infantino carrier, but it is so complicated! I sometimes just put it on like a backpack but it isn't comfy. Maybe I just need to invest in another type of wrap???
Did you know that Mamatoto is Swahili? Mama-mother, mtoto-child....My screen name means two children in Swahili. My DH is from Kenya, we lived there and I did carry my son a bit with just a "kanga", but have lost the knack for it.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 3:17pm
LOL I love your "shape" comment!! That's awesome. I'm going to attach two pics of back wrapping with a wrap. The yellow wrap is a short wrap, around 3meters long. The navy blue wrap is 4.7meters long and you can see how it is tied in the front. Please excuse the sloppy wrap job. This was the FIRST time I've done a backwrap with my nephew so I was hurrying :) I'm also inserting a pic of my son at 5 months old on our first ever mei tai back carry. I now tie the bottom AND the top straps right under my boobs: keeps baby higher on my back, keeps everything flattened out a bit better & helps hold these "cantalopes" up ;) LOL Let me know if you have any other questions :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-03-2006 - 10:46pm
Kay, no rush to answer....but how do you actually start that? Do you place the baby on your back kinda bending over first? That's how we would do it with a "kanga", just a big piece of material. Yours almost looks like a backpack? Could you explain it a bit? Thanks so much for the pictures.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-03-2006 - 11:42pm

I'm going to try my best to explain it, but it's hard in words ya know? LOL I start just holding him in my left arm, like I'd carry him around. I lay the wrap out so it's easily accessible and then I lay him on my left arm, his upper body on my forearm and his body kind of squeezed between my upper arm and the side of my torso. I take the wrap and pull it over his head so that the top of the wrap is at his neck and the bottom of the wrap is laying around his knees, the wrap will cover his back. I then grab the right side of the wrap AND his right arm together and I then hoist him on my left shoulder and talk and kiss him while I do. I then bend over a bit and swing his right arm/wrap combo over my head to my other shoulder, grab his left arm and the left side of the wrap in my left hand and slowly lower him down my back a bit. When I get him where I want him, I pull the wrap tight in both hands in the front so I can spread the fabric out across his back and so he doesn't wiggle free. Once the fabric is where I want it, I pull both sides tight and up over my shoulders instead of around to the front of my chest. Then I wrap them around under my arms, just like you said, a backpack style. I've found the art to wrapping being when you've got the wrap and baby where you want both of them, you bounce and pull to tighten at the same time. Pruitt thinks it's funny LOL But it helps you from having to re-adjust after a few minutes of wear :) Let me know if that's as clear as mud ;)

Are you totally confused yet?? LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-04-2006 - 10:39pm
I'm totally going to read that over 10 times! Anyway, thanks for all the info. My friend, another AP mom, and avid baby-wearer will be over tomorrow, I'm sure with your instructions and her help we'll get it!:) Have a great night!