Does Anyone Know What I'm Talking About?

iVillage Member
Does Anyone Know What I'm Talking About?
Fri, 10-27-2006 - 10:28pm

Sorry to just jump in. I'm due in Feb with our second child and we are moving to South Germany next month or early December.

Last year, when I was pregnant with my son, I came across a sling that I would really like for the new baby for the cold weather we will be in. Problem is, I don't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Basically, it's poncho cape with a sling built in it. It's made to keep both the mother and baby warm. This thing would be ideal for me!

I've spent the past 4 hours googling every combination of words to describe it and I can't find it. I'm hoping someone here will have seen it before or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket Beautiful sig made by Ana, Anaroll!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 1:05am
Hello! i know this probably isnt the same exact thing your thinking of but its pretty close. i know what your talking about b/c i have seen the product your talking about online. heres the link to the one i saw...http://www.mayawrap.com/p_aiskaponcho.php i'll keep looking for you and see what else i come up with. Hope this helps a bit...Amy~ Ok i found another site, still not the coat/sling combo but they do work with slings...http://childrensneeds.com/baby_wearing_jackets___ponchos.html...still serching! Amy~

Edited 10/28/2006 1:15 am ET by amyalcaraz
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 2:06am

YES!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! That first link is exactly what I was thinking of. I just had it mixed up a bit in my head, rofl! Maybe that's why I couldn't find it, lol.

Thank you so much. You saved me from thinking I was going crazy. I'm off to order it before I lose it, again. :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket Beautiful sig made by Ana, Anaroll!
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 2:11am
Your very welcomed! im glad i could help you out! i couldnt just let ya go crazy by yourself looking for this type of coat so i had to help, lol! talk to you later...Amy~
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 3:41am

you may also be thinking of an Amautik or Amauti --which is a coat worn by the Inuit. it has a baby carrier built in. the aiska is a poncho that you wear over a separate baby carrier.

the amautik would be warmer, but i think something like the aiska would be more comfortable since you can use any baby carrier with it, what ever your preference is.

I bought a dressy black fleece poncho last winter from Jcpenney and altered it just slightly and it worked perfectly as a baby wearing poncho. much cheaper than the aiska :)

i know there is someone making amautiks on the babywearer..i will try to find a link for you..

Here is a link, it isn't working at the moment, hopefully her website is just down and not gone!
http://www.amautibaby.com/
Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Slinglings Baby Slings
Buy 2 slings get 1 Free!

Edited 10/28/2006 3:43 am ET by saram6778

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-12-2006 - 11:15pm

I don't know the sling you're talking about, but for warmth, I love my fleece pouch. Its warm for the baby that you don't need to heavy bundle them. Its a Kangroo Korner (kangarookorner.com).

BTW, I'm also due with my 2nd in Feb...Feb 6th to be exact.

Carolyn
Caden 3/23/03
EDD 2/6/07

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
>

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-17-2006 - 2:00pm
Does anyone use any particular types of coats with a sling? I was going to post about this but kept forgetting. Don't really want to buy something like what's in the links, I just don't think I would wear it. Plus he is so big I don't know how much longer I would carry him, and our next baby may not be a fall/winter baby. A regular coat would be nice, but I worry it would be too big and let the cold in. I love having Xavier in the sling but it's getting too cold and I keep putting tons of blankets around him going from car to stores. Would love to still take him for a walk in it.
Beth