Newbie - searching for the perfect sling

iVillage Member
Newbie - searching for the perfect sling
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 5:13pm

Hi! I'm Valeri, mom to Sally, who is 3 months old.

I have a quandry and I'm hoping that you will have some suggestions for me. We have a pouch sling which worked great for the first 2 months, but now she hates it. We also have a Baby Bjorn, but that's only good for a half hour or so. And it's very awkward to get her in and out of it by myself. So, I end up walking around holding her all day and I am pretty much unable to get anything done around the house. And if she falls asleep and I put her down, she is usually awake within 20 minutes, if not immediately. I don't really want to put her down, but I need to be able to eat, do a load of laundry, etc.

The biggest problem, though, is work. I work pt from home. It's shift work, so I have to be on the computer at a certain time and stay there for anywhere from 1-3 hours at a time. If we are busy, I cannot type one-handed so I end up putting her in the swing next to my desk. Sometimes that's fine with her and other times she cries and cries. Of course, she can see and hear me right there and can't understand why I'm not picking her up, so she just gets more and more upset. As do I. So I need to find a sling that works while I'm sitting, too, because I need both arms to type.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

TIA!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 5:39pm

Hi Valerie!

Do you have any ideas why she hates the pouch sling? Is it too cramped for her, or is it her position in it? Most babies like movement while in a sling, so I'm not surprised that she doesn't like to sit at the computer with you. My DH works at a computer all day, when DD was tiny I would wear her in a sling until she was asleep, and then transfer it to him at the computer while she slept ;) That was the only way she was happy at the computer.

do you swaddle her when she naps? we used a miracle blanket for a long time, I would wrap DD up, nurse her to sleep, and then I was able to put her down asleep without her waking up. She slept a lot longer and better this way, sometimes as long as 2 or 3 hours. I was able to get a lot done.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 10:26pm

Welcome to the board!

Sara had some great suggestions.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 11:42pm

Hi Valeri. A great alternative to the bjorn is a mei tai or even a wrap. They can both be used for two shoulder carries. The wrap you can tie on and literally leave it on all day, even when she's not in it :) Both are great for tummy to tummy and VERY secure and also have more positions that you can carry her in. When DS was smaller, I'd put him on my back, put a nursing necklace on backwards and that would buy me time on the computer ;) Hope this helps a bit!!

Piper ~ SAHM to Cale (5.02) & Pruitt (8.05)

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-30-2006 - 5:23am

Hi Sara!

I think that she doesn't like the pouch sling because she can't see out. She was a little happier if I pinned back the side near her face, but that didn't last long. It could be position, as well. She likes to be vertical and facing out. And moving. LOL! Also, the sling doesn't fit me well, so it hurts my back and I think she was kind of swimmimg around in it. I read a review of it on Babywearing a few days ago and they seemed to think that it works best for tall people. (PreMaxx)

We used to swaddle her to sleep. She's a little furnace, though, and would get overheated. With cooler weather we should try that again. It also helps to calm her down if she's wound up. Have you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block"? It's a great technique.

Thanks for your help!

Valeri

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-30-2006 - 5:47am

Thanks Larissa!

I didn't really click with my EC board so I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I'm thinking position is part of the problem, too. She really prefers to be vertical.

I'm making a bit of a trek to a store today that, I hope, stocks different types of slings. I would like to give them a try before I buy one. The wraps are intrguing, too.

Thanks again!

Valeri

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-30-2006 - 9:06am

Hi Piper!

Was he asleep on your back or just hanging out? What about if he's sleeping? The wraps sound interesting, but with the sling you can kind of lay them down and slip out of it without necessarily waking them up.

Valeri

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-30-2006 - 10:06am

When he was on my back he was just hanging out. He's only fallen asleep on my back once and that was at the mall ;) If I wanted to wear him while he was sleeping I'd always put him in the wrap and nurse him to sleep and cover him with the wrap too :)

Piper

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-30-2006 - 11:36am
Yeah..that isn't a great sling. It looks way "over done" IMHO :)

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-08-2006 - 12:47pm

I thought it looked practical - throw your stuff in the pockets and go. Oh well!

We got a Moby Wrap. Very cool! It's tons more comfortable for me and she seems to be happy in it for longish periods. At the very least, she tolerates it. :-) We usually do the Lotus position or the one where the feet hang out. So far it hasn't worked for sitting and she was not happy when I tried to put her in the cradle position. Baby steps, though, right? ITMT I can at least eat my lunch while walking around the house with her. LOL! Anybody else's baby absolutely have to keep moving?

Now to find a way to keep her happy, or at least calm, while I work...

Thanks for the tips ladies!!

Valeri and Sally

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 10:24pm
Have you tried putting an exercise ball in front of your computer instead of a computer chair. DD LOVES it when I sit on the ball, sometimes it's the only thing that will calm her down. I can move around and bounce and keep in motion while staying in one place. I've gotten so much on the computer accomplished by sitting on the ball. Might be worth a shot. GL
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

DD 9/29/06 DS 2/20/09 EDD 9/29/11 --> also our 10 year anniversary!