Slinging in the winter???

iVillage Member
Slinging in the winter???
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 12:11pm

I found it so easy to pop baby in and out in the summer, I would never carry her bucket seat, much rather sling (ring style). Now in snow suits and big parkas how do I do this??? For shopping or whatever...she has to keep her snowsuit on to get indoors, then what? Carry her snowsuit around? What if the store is a bit cold? I find I'm not slinging as much and carrying the bucket which is so heavy and cumbersome. Then I'm stuck with the seat for the shopping trip! Please help!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 5:24pm

Hi, Michelle--it is kind of a pain in the winter (we live in Minnesota), but I still found it less of a pain than carrying the giant bucket seat around. I would occasionally put the sling on over my coat and put her in it in her snowsuit, but only if we were going to be outside for extended periods. Otherwise I'd put the sling on under my coat, leave my coat unbuttoned and put her in the sling. Then once we got inside, if we were going to be inside for a while, I'd take her out of the sling, take off the snowsuit, and put her back in, carrying her snowsuit around with me. OR--if it isn't too cold out and we're just running from the car to the store, sometimes I'd keep my coat on, put her in the sling *without* her coat, and wrap my coat around her just for the run into the store. You'll work out whatever seems like the best plan for you, but I agree...a pain in the neck. Much easier when everyone doesn't need heavy coats!!

Annie

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 5:43pm

It is easiest to wear the sling under your coat, don't put the baby in a heavy snow suit, use one of those zip up car seat covers (they make them in big sizes for toddlers), or use blankets, etc, over the car seat restraints. Poncho type coats (for both baby and mom) work GREAT for babywearing. There are also coats made specifically for babywearing that have openings for baby's head. So, take baby out of the car seat, pop her in the sling quickly, wrap your coat around her, cover her head/face if necessary with a blanket while outside.

You aren't actually supposed to use a snow suit or other thick layers of clothing in a car seat anyway, it interferes with restraining the baby properly. Anything that can compress in an accident can cause the baby to slip right out of the restraints. Even if it seems tight enough under normal circumstances, the force of an accident can compress clothing and coats.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 7:15pm
When I lived in Chicago area, I had an ultimate baby wrap (similar to moby). I would have a long sleeved tee or thin sweater on and put on the wrap. Grace would be layered in onesie and warm clothes. I would then get in the car and drive to where ever. She would have a blanket on if needed and her hat. Then I would get out, plop her in the wrap and then put a fleece on me and zip us both up. We both were toasty. I would do the same for walks. The wraps are nice b/c they are thin and support baby well and you can wear it in the car until you need to put baby in.
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-22-2006 - 12:04am
Sorry, I am no help.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-22-2006 - 12:25pm

I have a fleece sling that is so warm enough that they don't need big heavy outerwear with. Its a Kangaroo Korner Fleece Adjustable pouch, which

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
>

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-22-2006 - 2:52pm

Thanks! I am looking into different types of wraps which my next post will be about!:)

The only reason the stroller idea is hard is b/c I am usually shopping and need a cart, and I can't push both. Plus in the winter here, the snow usually makes for tough manouvering of anything with wheels! I can't afford to get a new big wheeled stroller. I have an umbrella stroller in the trunk but hardly use it! The other big stroller pretty much gets parked for the winter...it would take up the whole trunk to carry it around all the time. I have a cuddle bag thing on the bucket seat, and until it got cold I never lugged it around, but now I am just thinking of how to keep her warm! She is only 6 months and 15 or so lbs but that thing is so heavy and hard to deal with!

Edited 11/22/2006 5:03 pm ET by watotowawili
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-22-2006 - 4:50pm

I really do reccomend the Kangaroo Korner pouch then. I used mine with my son until he was past 2...its adjustable and versatile and very warm. It's not inexpensive, I think

>

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-23-2006 - 12:46pm
If I was taking short trips in and out of the car when DS was little, I usually just kept him in the carseat carrier (especially if he was sleeping!). But if I knew we would be out a while and especially if he would most likely nurse during that time, I would sling him. He had one of those zip-up sleeping bag type fleece covers attached in his carseat so he didn't need to wear a heavy coat or jacket. I would wear the sling under my jacket, pop him in, and cover both of us with the jacket. My jacket wasn't very fashionable as the only one big enough for both of us was one of DH's, but you could probably find a nice poncho or something else if you like.
Sasha and DS Jordan- 8/17/04, still BFing
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sasha, mama to DD Kalea 8/11/07 and DS Jordan 8/17/04